We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ascot, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

I have booked our family holiday for 2013 to the Gran Bahia for myself my wife, a family friend and my son who is 14 and her daughter who is 12.

We are staying in the Coba Section at the Gran Bahia and trying to get advice on best day trips to do for adults and kids, plus general advice on the resort in general, shows etc. Myself and my son get bored laying on a beach so chose this resort as it seems to have lots of sporting activities.

Can anyone tell me where the Coba resort is situated within the complex and what does it overlook.

Anybody with any tips be greatfully received, we have not been to Mexico before.

Thanks

Phil

Thurrock
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

Hi Phil

Have been to GBP several times. Coba is located a little way from the beach. Apart from the GBP Sian Kaan is probably one of the newer parts. We have stayed at the Coba side once before. The resort is huge and there are plenty of trams taking you everywhere. As of last year (and probably still) you could use all 3 Hotels of the resort except for Sian Kaan part. I have posted 2 reviews of our experience and you will no doubt see plenty of others on Trip Advisor too. One of the best tips we had was to email ahead of time 2/3 weeks with your requests. Beds are quite hard so we always ask for a mattress topper which softens things. There is alot of coral v close by so we take water shoes (relatively cheap) to wear. There are a few sandy parts also nearer the akumal. Insect spray is v useful although they do their best to keep the mozzies down, and we also find handy to take some upset stomach pills just incase. But we have always had a great time personally and wouldn't hesitate to go back. As for excursions we've been to Xcaret 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't been to Xelha (but hoping to go next time). There is also Xplor which is v popular. They are all quite different so research is a must.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

Congrats and welcome to Trip Advisor

There is a lot to do, both on the resort and away from it

Here are some 1st timer hints

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k5670…

Maps of the resort and other research ideas are listed over in Top Questions

When are you going

vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

One of the best an cheapest trips from Bahia is Tulum ruin

s. Not to be confused with an other part of Bahia resort. Go to road an take bus to Tulum for a day of Site seeing an one of the best beaches you will find down there. You get some history of the Mayan people an get to check out the only beach front ruins in all of Mexico. This day trip for you can be less then $50 USA. Been to Bahia 4 times an can't wait to go back. Have a great time

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

What email address did you use to reserve restaurant

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,396 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

Depends which section you are booked at

email addresses and maps are bookmarked over in Top Questions

Edited: 9:17 pm, January 02, 2013
Peachland, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

Hi, we really liked the Coba ruin tour as well because you can climb the actual pyramid - great for active folks...our kids are 15, 13 and 13 so we are looking for activities as well when we go again this March/13 I've been looking around and see Yal-ku and Turtle Bay as possible snorkelling options...?

Have fun!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,396 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

Ziplining, snorkeling, nature parks like Xel-Ha, cenote swims, caves

Lots to chose from

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

A trip to akumal bay is a must . Great relaxing beach and very good snorkeling. Only a short cab ride away.

Your first trip to Mexico will most assuredly not be your last. The Mayan Riviera is an awesome place to travel to . You have picked a good resort too. People who travel to this area often have their own favorite "niche" places that they love , but the Bahia is a great all round place for a first timer.

There aren't many "views" at the coba , as the area is flat as a board and covered with trees. Lots of the buildings are situated near a pool , only the rooms on one side of the building will overlook the pool.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

For day trips with the kids definitely consider Xel-Ha and plan to spend the entire day there. Snorkeling, river tubing, jungle walk with rope swing into cenote, treetop walk, this is a fantastic place.

If the kids are into ziplining Xplore is terrific. There is also a cave swim and a paddle through the caves. The caves are magnificent here.

If you want to climb a pyramid, Coba is currently closed for climbing. We were there 2 weeks ago and were told that the pyramid would be closed at the beginning of January, there was no reopen date given but it needs some extensive renovation work. To see ruins you can climb go to Ek Balam. This site has a lot of ruins and is not over commercialized like some of the other sites. Very few crowds here. I would also recommend the Mayan Experience where you visit a Mayan village and meet the people who live there who talk about their culture. Most presentations are done by children so it appeals to teens and children as well.

Windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
762 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe, general advice

My tip is for the airport. After you go through customs people will be coming at you saying they are your ride or they want to help you. Just politely say no thanks and walk out the door. Your transfers will be right outside. There is a observation tower just a little walk from the premier Coba lobby. Your kids will like to climb it and it is a good way to figure out the resort. Another good way is to take the bikes for a ride. Have a great time.