We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearson airport-pesos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pearson airport-pesos?

Hi, does anyone know if I can exchange Cdn. money for mexican pesos at the currency exchange at the airport?

I would think I should be able to, but would like confirmation before I run around trying to find the place.

I tried to find it on their website but, no luck; maybe I did not look in the right place.

Thanks in advance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,683 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Why not wait until you arrive at the airport in Mexico. You will get the best rates, especially from the ATMs.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

I don`t know about TO for sure, but I always use my debit card in Edmonton at their exchange and there is no fee if you take out over $100 or $200, can`t remember which since I always take out over $200 anyway. So convenient, they are open for all international flights and that way I don`t have to worry about it CUN. The exchange is the bank rate, so no worries about getting screwed, but I don`t know for sure about Toronto. I am flying via TO on Nov. 30th, so I can post after that trip.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Airports the world over are typically the worst places to exchange currencies as they usually offer dismal rates. As noted by Robert, you'll be better off to wait until you arrive in Mexico and use an ATM (either at the airport or elsewhere).

A couple of cautions with ATMs though:

- check with your bank as to what their fees are, so as to avoid any nasty surprises;

- stick with bank affiliated ATMs and avoid those stand-alone ones (this isn't a Mexico thing, it's an ATM thing - there's a stand-alone machine two blocks from my house that charges three times what a bank machine charges - guess how I know!?);

- unless it's a dire emergency, NEVER withdraw US dollars from a Mexican ATM (yes, there are some ATMs that dispense US dollars). You'll get dinged with multiple exchange commissions/fees and will be very sad when you see your next bank statement;

- as with all ATMs the world over, check the machine carefully for signs of tampering and shield your hand when entering your PIN;

- as a precaution, notify your bank that you'll be using your ATM outside the country (you don't want them freezing yoru account on you) and change your PIN when you get home. Some cases of ATM fraud are being reported months after return from Mexico; changing your PIN can help thwart that.

I'll freely admit that I'm a cautious type, so I have a completely separate bank account which I use for my vacation cash - it's not connected to my other accounts in any way and I only deposit my vacation spending money in it, plus a little extra "cushion". My theory is that if this account does get compromised, there's a limit to the amount damage the bad guys can do. Even though my bank will "make good" fraudulent withdrawals, I don't want to go through the experience of having my regular bank account drained and having to fight to get it back again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Which terminal are you flying out of, one or three.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Llisa, I see you are from Calgary. I have heard that the exchange rate there is terrible. In Edmonton it`s the bank rate. So odd that they would be so different. I guess we`re lucky here since it is nice to do beforehand so you don`t have to worry about it later. I`m hoping it is like that in TO, but if it is terrible, I would use the ATM upon arrival as well.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Lots of folks use the ATM at the airport.

I pick my pesos up at a local exchange house in Los Angeles because I can request specific denominations. We get alot of 20's for tipping (20 Pesos = aprox $1.50USD).

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Maried - yeah, that is weird. There's a foreign exchange place in a local mall that offers really good rates though (way better than most banks' forex rates), so I just use them if I have to. Usually though, I just stockpile some pesos from my previous trip so I have enough to tide me over for the first couple of days of my next trip.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

To answer your question, Yes, you can exchange Cdn to Pesos at the airport in Toronto.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

Good idea Llisa. I end up spending the rest of my pesos in the airport on the way home because my kids want this or they`re hungry, etc. and it`s your travel home day, so I don`t have much patience for wining.lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearson airport-pesos?

ifly.com/toronto-pearson-international-airpo…

I just called them...they've giving 11.55 to the $1 CAD. Not worth it. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Akumal