We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Hi folks, I'm home & very sad about it, we had a great time at GP, we were at GBP Akumal this year Jan & May, so I promised to do a few comparisons. Please don't shoot the messenger if you don't agree, this is just MHO. We found they were very similar, both very large but I found GBP easier to get around even though it's larger, with GP i just couldn't find my way around, hubby could, but he used to be in the scouts, lol. I didn't like the walk ways at GP, I did as you ladies suggested & only took flats, but I still kept tripping, hubby said it was because I had too many cocktails, you can't have too many cocktails can you? The wildlife was wonderful to see at GP, but please do not feed any of the animals, birds or fish, it is causing lots of problems. There was alot of wildlife at GBP, but not as much as at GP. At GBP the men have to wear long trousers just to the 3 gourmet restaurants, while at GP, they have to wear them at all of them. The a la cartes were similar food wise, but personally I liked GBP's & hubby liked GP's. Again I thought the service at GBP better, hubby thought a draw, the best waiter we met was at GP, Eric, who served us at Porto Fino & at P. Emilia. I thought the buffet food better at GP. A big plus was at GP where the safe was free. At GP there weren't any pool side chairs, hubby likes a chair aswell as a sunbed, for when he's playing with his gadgets, But also at GP there were loads more beds than GBP. At GP the show table at the Japanese & the AC was better, a proper show with fire, our experience at GBP, there wasn't really a show, I think the chef must have been a trainee. As lots of people have said the pillows at GP were very hard, with an available pillow menu, which we didn't use, the beds were similar. The shower, AC & mini bar at GP was better, but I prefered the room at the GBP. We didn't get any towel art at all at GP & we got lots at GBP, that doesn't matter though. We liked the swim up bar at GBP, at GP they were too deep, tried the 2 large pools, but prefered the secret pool. We enjoyed the entertainment in the lobby's at GP, but we liked the shows that we saw better at GBP. We have met & enjoyed the company of people from Canada, USA & the UK at both resorts, folks you know who you are, speak to you all soon. Sorry if this comparison offends anyone, but as I said it's just MHO, if anyone has any questions, please pm me. It will be soon be January when we are due to go back & price will dictate I think, as to where we will go as they both had good & bad points. Happy hols folks.

Edited: 5:43 pm, October 18, 2012
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,386 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Great report. I sent you a PM.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Warry, I do not believe you would offend anyone with your comparrison. I have never been to the Palladium resort, but have been to the Bahia the same number of times as Ann. If we had done the Palladium first we would be in direct competition with her trying to get to the number one status. Thanks again for the mini reports also. If I get a chance (unlikely ;) ) I will return the favour starting next saturday from GBP Sian Kaan.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Forgot to mention that I would believe either resort one chooses, chances are they will not be dissapointed. OK maybe one. lol.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,386 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Hola Warry again, Just wondering what you meant by "no pool side chairs"? Confused. Also there is a post on my site asking you about snorkeling etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Can someone compare the beaches please? Is there any snorkling at Grand Bahia ? Welcome home Warry , I will be interested to see where you end up in January !!! Say hi to your other half :)

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

The only snorkeling stuff to see at the GBP is in a roped off ecologically sensitive area. (very shallow too) Lifeguards will be blowing their whistles and telling you to come back if you enter it. A walk around the corner to Chemuyil bay is a nice place to go snorkeling , but not a lot of fish etc. Have heard the snorkeling at Palladium is better. A trip to Akumal bay is a must. Sea turtles in the shallows , and a decent reef further out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
475 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Hi Warry..well this is the post I have been waiting for..I believe your post tells me "why fix something that isn't broken"!! Based on your review I would have to say we will be sticking to the GBP resorts.GP sounds nice but I enjoy the wildlife,no tripping and as much as it's not a big deal the towel art makes my day..I look forward to seeing what it is that will be awaiting me on my return to the room..As for the $5/day safe fee,it's not enough to sway me..Thanks for the 'live' feed as well as your review..Nothing offensive in there..So tell me..who made the best drinks? who had a better selection of drinks? which had better brands if liquor? but most important what was YOUR favorite drink? @ anon..I believe she is talking about the kind you sit upright in..typical chairs..Mr Warry likes to sit not always lay except for siesta time..lol..

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Hi all, I'm sorry i can't do comparisons with the beaches & snorkeling as we are pool people, I will leave that to someone else. Anne , i will answer messages on PA but my jet lagged brain wouldn't give me my password, I remember it now. Jroses is right about the chairs, hubby does like to sit by the pool on the usually plastic chairs & at the GP, there were signs saying do not remove from the restaurants etc, he found 1 in the 2 weeks & that was borrowed from the staff. The drinks I would say are the same, as you know I like the mango daiquris & our pool man never had any mango even though i asked several times. The cocktails we tried were all very nice & at night in the correct glass, they had the cava at both resorts which we like & all the staff at both could make a very nice cold gin martini.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Thanks for the great report!

I love reading Comparison Report! ^_^

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comparisons with GBP Akumal & GP Colonial.

Thanks for the report. It was fair and it's nice to know what other people think of different places.

I also got so turned around at the Palladium! I usually have a great sense of direction but it took me about 3 days to get it straight. We did the Segway tour and that helped orientate me!

I haven't been to GBP and it was on the list but didn't they just put in a dolphin pool?

Everyone has very strong opinions on these things and it can be a deal breaker for some.

Is it in a spot that you would have to walk by it everyday?