We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
california
4 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Hi,

We are 2 adults, 5 and 3 year old. We want inexpensive accomodations where we can walk to off-shore snorkeling in Akumal. Are there any inexpensive accomodations at Yal-ku, or perhaps another safe beach (still waters, no rip tide) in the Maya Riveria?

Thanks so much!

lilah

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Hi Lilah, my family and I are going Akumal in a few weeks for the first time and we are staying at the Akumal Beach Resort (and all inclusive). In my research I was able to find a few places that may be suitable for families that is reasonably affordable. Here are some websites that may help you out.

www.locogringo.com/akumal/vmaya.html…

locogringo.com/akumal/akumalbeachresort.html…

i-akumal.com/lodging/…economical.html

Akumal is a relatively expensive destination, but one that is really well suited for families. We are really excited about our trip!

If you can travel during the off season you can save a lot of money.

Good luck!

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Vista del Mar is a good choice that is inexpensive. It is not all inclusive and is

not far from Yal-Ku which is just down the road. As with anything you have to watch the kids but the condo rates there are good.

Good luck.

california
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

HI,

Thanks for both of your posts! We wish you luck!

I am thinking that since this is a rare vacation (due to finances) for us, we may wait until the boys are 2 years older and can swim a bit. I understand that Yal-ku has perfectly still waters and relatively shallow, if you have any other tips about snorkeling with little guys, we'd love it!

We actually found the best snorkeling spot on Cozemal on the far side of the island. It was about 2 feet deep and it was amazing. We must have looked so silly to those watching us (spending 2 hours with masks in 2 feet of water)but it was simply the best! And no worry of sharks!

Sincerely,

Lilah

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Akumal is a bay, so the water is pretty still. Yal Ku and Xel Ha are great options for really still water in inlets, there are entry fees for both.

Akumal is a pretty good option for families, there are a lot of condos with kitchens if you are looking to save money by cooking your own meals rather than eating out.

What is your budget per night? Have you looked at LocoGringo.com for price options?

Will you be renting a car? If you can´t find anything in your price range in Akumal, you might take a look at Tulum, too.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Just so you know, Yal Ku is calm, but not still water. The tide and the water coming from the cenote both affect the flow of water. We went last year with our 5 year old, and found that he REALLY needed his snorkel vest, in spite of being a good swimmer. It allowed us the ability to help him, and keep a hold on him, so that he didn't drift too far away. There is a definite pull. Still an amazing place to go, though!

california
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive accomodations and off-shore snorkeling with...

Thanks!

This has all been good information! I also have found Hotel Villas del Caribe in Xpu-Ha that seems to have very good prices and off-shore snorkeling. (it is, I think, north of Akumal.)

So far, Villa del Mar in Akumal seems to be the best in Akumal.

I also found a bar/restaurant in a jungle called Cabana's de Lu'um toh (www.cancunjungleresort.com) that is supposed to have incredible bird sounds at night on the bar roof top!

Lilah

Mentioned in this post
Xpu-Ha
Xpu-Ha
Riviera Maya, Mexico