We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair Braiding

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hair Braiding

My daughter wants her hair braided when we visit the Bahia Principe, how much can we plan to spend?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair Braiding

It depends on the length of her hair. You can barter the price. jJst a tip, wait until the second last day, that way her scalp won't burn in the sun with the braids.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair Braiding

Her hair is shoulder length and she only wants the top done.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair Braiding

probably between 20-30 US. But you have to barter.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair Braiding

Thanks for the info...this is the only thing she wants in Mexico this year.

NE
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair Braiding

We paid $35 in Puerto Aventuras last year. (I've read it's about $15 in Playa del Carmen.)

If she gets it done early in your stay (which is nice, because then her hair will be low-maintenance for the rest of the trip :), make sure she puts sun screen on her scalp. (My daughter did this and did not get burned.)

One other tip, pack some of the Goody small rubberbands or small clippies -- my daughter's rubber bands kept breaking. (Maybe the chlorine in the pool weakened the bands??) I've heard the braids can last up to a week, but we only got a two days, which wasn't really worth the $$$ (not to mention her discomfort since she's so tender-headed. I was amazed she sat through it without a complaint!) Looked adorable while it lasted, though.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair Braiding

I think we paid 30 for half-head right at the Bahia. They have huts and a spa that can do it. The advantage to having it done on site is that they will fix any of the braids that come out or bands that break. The girls like to have pictures taken with the braids in - so we try and get them done 2 -3 days before we leave and then I always have them "touched up" our last day. No charge, but I tip them for their time. Last year we had the girls hair done at Xel-ha because it was cheaper (20 for half-head). Terrible job, lasted two days.