We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Gorrie
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Swimming with the Dolphins

I know this is a sensitive subject and I'm not looking to open up a can of worms so am asking a fairly specific question. My son and his girlfriend are staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba later this month. She is keen to swim with the dolphins and I understand that there is now a dolphin enclosure at the Tulum section of the resort. Can anyone who has done this attraction comment on their experience? Did you enjoy it or were you disappointed? I'm not looking for a lecture but rather wanting to know if the dolphin experience on the resort is worthwhile or if she should look at booking an excursion off the resort to do her dolphin swim. Thanks for your input:)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

That's just not the case. Secrets and Dreams are the same company and this company has dolphins at their resorts, simple as that. If you support Secrets, you support Dreams. I for one like them both, but just because you want to stay at SMB, you can't justify it by saying they are different because they are the same company. The last Secrets I was at is attached to a Now Amber and shares the ala cartes, so they are definitely the same company. You just have to admit you are supporting them and that's all. But then you shouldn't condemn the others that have the dolphins since that would be hypocritical.

Like I said, I speak to these reps and I get their emails and they are very vocal about being the same company. All their info has all their brands (Now, Sunscape, Dreams, Secrets and soon Breathless).

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

The Bahia have the Captive Dolphins which is run by a Company called Dolphinaris. Of course GBP get €$£ from this.

But for me as a paying customer I would not stay at this resort due to the Dolphin Prison that is at this hotel. It's about making sure that customers who do not agree with this disgusting industry make it clear to GBP that they vote with their wallet and stay somewhere else. At some point this will have a effect on the hotels profit. The Bahia are more than aware it's a touchy subject and are only it for the cash, as other wise they would be more promotion about this in thier brochures. As many paying customer don't realise until they get to the hotel of what horror is located within the property. The hotel told lies for months as the construction was taking places to customers who where actually at the resort at the time and those who email as to what the construction was and categorically lied to people.

For the people who care about these beautiful creatures the message driven is don't buy a ticket to any captive Dolphin encounter, without the paying customers the demand to pluck these beautiful intelligent creatures from the wild in the first place will stop. No customers = no need for dolphins.

I've witness on the forum and many other over the last few years the interest in Dolphins slowing declining. A few years back you would have so many questions regarding swimming with Dolphins, even more than questions about the weather forecasts and Facecloths in the room!!! (Another touchy TA topic!!!) so it is changing hopefully for the better. And TA has defiantly educated many over the years about not supporting this. I've witness many who have had a change in heart. Also a few years back if you dare write something regarding the captive industry or tell someone to watch the documentary/film "The Cove" (and now the ground breaking documentry/film "Blackfish") you would be shot down in flames and defiantly in the minority. But not so anymore! Which is for sure a move forward.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

I would just like to say I was somebody who always wanted to swim with Dolphins until I read a different thread on TA, After reading the thread decided I wouldn't so glad that there was somebody on TA to tell me about the reality of this practice.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

maried

AMResorts is a Management Company and are not property owners

I am anti-swimming with dolphins in captivity and not anti any particular resort and there is nothing hypocritical in that to me

To me we are deviating away from the issue

Edited: 4:47 am, August 22, 2013
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

You are missing the point. When these threads come up about the Bahia or Barceló, people are quick to jump on the band wagon and say "never" to them and condemn them. But because you like the nicer Secrets, you are OK with staying there even though they are affiliated with Dreams, you justify it with technicalities when they are clearly the same company, no matter what you call AMResorts (management, etc.). We will have to disagree on this, but it is very obvious to me. Try telling those resorts that they are not part of the same chain with different levels of service, I think you will get the same answer I'm giving you.

I'm out.

Edited: 7:46 am, August 22, 2013
36. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 22, 2013
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

So great that TA is educating folks regarding Dolphin swims.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

maried

I have never said that people should boycott certain resort chains. I am also fully aware that Secrets and Dreams are all brands of AMResorts - my point was to correct you when you said they were all "owned" by them - they are not

Anyway as I have said many times before I am anti-swimming with dolphins in captivity and will always ask people politely to do some research on the subject before doing so

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

As I said it has to start somewhere and not staying at the actual resort with the dolphin pool is as good a place as any.

Perhaps if they knew this was why people were staying away they wouldn't have them on site.

As always it is about the bottom line. People have to leave the resort to swim with the dolphins, these resorts see a way to keep them on the property and bring in more profits. If we not only refuse to participate in the swim but not stay there at all, they would soon get rid of the pool.

40. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 24, 2014