We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ya Kul Lagoon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Topic
Ya Kul Lagoon

Thinking about stopping here to snorkel on my own on the way back from Tulum. Anyone have any experience snorkeling there? Is it easy to get to? Worth stopping for? Safe? Car accessible? Cost? Any info is appreciated.

Also I've heard there is no longer swimming allowed at the Tulum ruins. Can anyone verify that?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ya Kul Lagoon

Tommy,

YaKulLagoon would be a great choice for snorkeling or swimming natural lagoon with fresh water spring (cenote) mixing with the ocean, fish, turtles, very nice. You need to go thru Akumal gates then to the left all the way to end. There is a place to park and fee is minor I cant remeber maybe $5 bucks? Look for La Buena Vida on the way out great place for food, drinks and fun!

Have a good time in paradise.

David

Mentioned in this post
La Buena Vida
La Buena Vida
3,457 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ya Kul Lagoon

Or just snorkel in Akumal Bay with the turtles!!!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay
Akumal Bay
222 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
bellingham, ma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ya Kul Lagoon

Yal-Ku is my favorite snokeling in the Carib. Have been several times. Here the fresh water meets the salt water so when it is agitated it gets cloudy. You simply have to stay several yards behind the person in front of you and the water is perfectly clear. It is like being in a beautiful giant aquarium. It was $6 each last year and the directions given by db are correct. Also snorkeling at the Akumal beach is good and looking for turtles in the bay is correct. There is parking right there.

You should also try a cenote. Not many fish but fun. Cold....

I don't know about the swimming at Tulum.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ya Kul Lagoon

I just returned from a week in the Mayan. I didn't go to Yal Ku, but I did spend several hours swimming at the Tulum beach. It was incredible. We got there early and had the beach to ourselves for about an hour before all the tour buses started coming in. I recommed arriving at the ruins when they open so you can enjoy some solitude on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ya Kul Lagoon

Thanks for the info Peaches. Could you answer some questions for me? How long does it take to drive from Playa to Tulum? What exactly would be a good time to be there? What time do the ruins open? Is there good snorkeling near there? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico