We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

We just booked a last minute vacation to his resort for next week. We have a couple questions.

1. Is there any dancing at this resort or the other Bahia Principe resorts in the evening. We enjoy salsa and latin dancing and hoped we could cut a rug.

2. What are the best ala carte restaurants? I understand you can make reservations in advance.

3. How long of a ride is it to the beach? Are there usually shaded places by the pool?

4. What is the best method to get from the airport to the resort without breaking the bank?

Thanks for your help

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

Some people dance at the Premier Lounge (Coba) when the nightly band is playing; can't speak for the other resorts. Also dancing at the Disco (Hacienda)...

We love the gourmet restaurants, especially Don Pablo (Tulum) and Le Gourmet (Coba). Haven't tried Alux yet, but by all accounts it's very good. It really is a matter of personal preference, but a lot of people really like the Gran Tortuga and the Mikado as well.

Probably 10-15 min by tram to the beach. At the other 3 resorts there is always shade by the pools, trees and palapas. I haven't seen the Sian Ka'an pools yet, so I can't say about them...

We book private transfers with Cancun Transfers; $130 USD return for 2 people. Considering a 1/2 hour taxi ride from the airport home costs us $60, I think that's a great deal. USA Transfers also gets great reviews, although we haven't used them personally, and I believe they are about the same price.

Hope this helps!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

To add to "nutz" there was no dancing at the Sian Kaan when we were there. The music is lighter and fairly quiet. If you're looking for a "rockin" place you may have to go to one of the other sections. Most of the dancing we saw was at the circle bar at Tulum, but it wasn't Latin.

As well, lots of shade by the pools due to the trees they left standing when they developed it. Here is a picture. It was a cloudy day so you can't see the shadows, but on a sunny day this would all be in shade. On the other hand, the other side of the pool is in the sun. www.flickr.com/photos/strathcorob/6495819937/

Finally, someone posted that it took 6 minutes to get from the Sian Kaan to the beach. It is fast and direct (no stops) so I would say that's about right.

- Rob

Iowa
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

Rob -

What type of music is played at the "circle bar"?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

I think they may rotate the talent, but when we were there it was 70s and 80s covers. It was quite good actually - a lot of enthusiastic dancing.

- Rob

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

To learn about the rest of the resort, transfers, and alacartes, please visit Top Questions

Many threads on Sian Kaan section - I will put these over to Top Questions as well

new york
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

Rob, thanks for the excellent photos, really enjoyed them on flikr. Now I can't wait to go! Need to wait another 4 weeks. BTW looks like you are enjoying your Canon, as I do. Thanks again for sharing. Mitch

michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

1. We were at the Sian Kaan last month (1/15-1/24), and there were a lot of people dancing each night on the outdoor patio, outside the lobby bar. They had a two-some doing covers songs, and recorded music during their breaks. I would describe the tunes as ones you would get at a wedding reception. There was even some line-dancing at times.

On our visit the same time last year, lighter fare and very limited dancing. It was much more energetic this year. I think "Rob" visited again after we did, and said there was no dancing. So, I guess you'll just have to see what's going on when you visit, and if nothing, head across the road.

2. Our best dinner this year (by far) was at Le Gourmet (Coba).

3. Unlike last year, we never experienced a direct ride to the Sian Kaan beach this year; there was always a stop at the Coba, so rides were usually at least 15 minutes. I thought the trams were less organized this year. The drivers were active in letting you know where they were going, but many times it did not match the sign on the vehicle. Last year Sian Kaan lobby/beach trams were very obvious; this year you just never knew for sure.

4. "2Nutz" gave widely accepted information.

(5.) Have a great trip!

Edited: 9:48 am, February 07, 2013
Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

There was a band playing music on the terrace just outside the lobby when we visited in April. The Ala Carte restaurants are a personal choice. I really enjoyed most of them, Alux being my fav. There were several trams that came through. We always took the one directly to hasn't changed. We are headed back in a couple weeks. I've been happy with Lomas Travel for transfers in the past. Very easy to spot at the airport. Have fun!

9. Re: Gran Bahia Sian Kaan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 09, 2014