We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you compare ABR to?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Golden, BC
Level Contributor
103 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What would you compare ABR to?

The only AI we've been to is Gran Ventana in Puerto Plata, DR. I hear great things about ABR, but will I be disappointed in the food or rooms? Sounds like I'll love the beach, so no worries there.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you compare ABR to?

I stayed at the Occidental next to Grand Venta in Puerta Plata and I've stayed at the ABR. As much as I liked my trip to Puerta Plata, I loved the ABR. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm picky and I had no trouble enjoying every meal at the ABR. We booked superior rooms and they were just fine, we had no troubles. Nice view of the Ocean, good size, nice big showers. The hotel was awesome.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you compare ABR to?

Most people like ABR, but not for the food or rooms. They like it for the beach and pool area. I expected it to be comparable to a Hampton Inn, but didn't think it was. Rooms are very small and worn. I'm talking about the Superior rooms, not the standard ones. Food was mediocre. We loved Akumal adn are returning this year, but renting a small villa. You can easily rent a condo and eat at some of Akumal's excellent restaurants for the price you pay at ABR. Of course, we paid for 2 adults and a child who was 16, so paid $234/night last year.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you compare ABR to?

We were at the Akumal Beach Resort in 2000 and it was nice but needed alot of work. Does anyone know if the second pool is now open? Also, are any of the restaurants now air conditioned? We were there in July and it was way to hot to enjoy dinner without AC.