We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling Jan 2006

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
traveling Jan 2006

My husband and I just made our reservations today to go to the Bahia Akumal from Jan 15-21 2006. We hope to do some type of wandering everyday of the trip and are looking for some ideas of where to go, how to book tours in advance and yes...what we should not waste our time doing. We have never snorkeled before but thought that this would be a good time to begin !

Thanks

Rose

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling Jan 2006

I have been to the Mayan Riviera 3 times and going again in February for 2 weeks. I would take a cab into Playa Del Carment fun little town cost 3 - 4 U.S. for a cab. For snorkeling you could do a trip to Cozumel or Xel-ha (pronounced Shel-ha) we went hear last year with our teenage sons and had a blast. Cost was about $45. each for the whold day awesome snorkeling - buy a underwater throw away camera. If you have never snorkeled this place is great, and barricaded. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,369 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling Jan 2006

We stayed at the Bahia in May and did the Xel Ha trip and I highly recommend it! We snorkelled, cliff jumped and walked around the entire lagoon. We tool a cab from the hotel (7 US each way) and purchased our tickets from the Air Transit reps at the hotel before we went. We purchased the all inclusive ticket which allowed us to eat and drink all we wanted in the park. That was good considering we ended up spending the entire day there. The park rents our life jackets and tons of people use them. This is very helpful for those who are not stong swimmers or for those who just want to relax and enjoy the view. I recommend taking your own mask and snorkel. The Xel Ha website is www.xel-ha.com.mx/default.asp…

You are going to love the Bahia!

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,993 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling Jan 2006

Thanks for the info. I wasn't too excited about the trip because everyone keeps telling me that I am going to get sick from the water.

After reading this site and your comments I am beginning to get excited all over again.

I look forward to trying things that I have never done before and experiencing some of those once in a lifetime moments.