We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excaret park

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ONTARIO
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
excaret park

Hi. How far is it from the Coba? How did you get there economically? What are the costs? What details could you give us that would help for planning. We have a 5 year old daughter. The heat is going to be a big consideration as are the bugs in deciding whether to go or not.

I have heard great things about it though.

Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: excaret park

Xcarte ids just outside of PDC, so it will cost you about $25 one way by cab or $2 each via colectivo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: excaret park

Make that Xcaret

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excaret park

Atrocious spelling Skier, LOL! (Just kidding, of course, before anyone gets all tied up in knots!)

The heat at Xcaret in July is going to be overbearing, no doubt. We haven't attempted it with our son yet - but we go back to the Riviera Maya several times a year, we'll wait until he's a little older. If you don't think you'll get to the area again for a few years, I'd go ahead and give it a try. And apparently there has been a bad mosquito outbreak this year because of a tropical depression that went through earlier in the summer - so if you go, bring a strong repellent with DEET - the strongest you can find. I know that some people don't like to put DEET on their child, but I think the danger of contracting malaria outweighs the danger of the DEET, in this one instance - there are definitely going to be bugs there - I wouldn't take any chances if you go.

To be honest - we go to the Bahia often, and we seldom have a need to do many side-trips because the resort itself has so much to offer. But I have heard great things about Xcaret as well - if you go, have a great time!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: excaret park

Golden,

We went to xcaret when we were there 2 weeks ago. We took the collectivo outside of the GBP $2pp each way. They drop you off out front and there is a free shuttle that comes by every 20 min. to take you to the front gate. Leaving you need to cross the highway. They have an underground way so you don't have to risk your life crossing the street.

It was very crowded and very hot. We have a 11 and 14 yr. boys and they enjoyed themselves. They did the Sea Trek. Underwater walking with a helmet on. They saw alot of fish. You have to book that as soon as you come in.$45pp. Take alot of sunscreen. Cave snorkling was really cool. Next time we go we will try xel-ha less expensive.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
841 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: excaret park

My sister and I were ther last year in April ( shes 60 and I'm 47) We had a great day but even in April it was hot! There is alot of walking to see everything but we always found somewhere cool to sit and have a cool drink. I did see alot of families with small children and if it's really hot you will have to take alot of breaks but it is well worth it! So much for a 5 year old to see!

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: excaret park

To respond to your question... We were at Xcaret a couple of years ago and loved it. It is actually a great place for kids and adults also. The bugs are not bad at all due to the way the park is laid out. It is very open and expansive. The underground river is a blast. The butterfly gardens are beautiful and the bat cave is worth going. There is so much to see and do there. Stay for the late Mayan show that ends the day... it is really good. Take a car there and spend the whole day. I am not sure if you can pack a lunch anymore or not. You have to purchase or bring eco friendly sun block for the park (as in many of the parks in MEX) Bug spray would not hurt for you or the little one. It is Mexico so it will be humid. There are many shady places, rivers, beaches, snorkel areas to cool off in. There is an awesome resturant over by the jungle exhibit. I can't remember the name. It is the only one in that area so it should not be hard to find. The overall day at Xcaret is inexpensive and wonderful. It was crowded when we were there also, but the place is so huge it really does not feel that way. I do not believe we used bug spray (and I am allergic to Mosquitoes) I do not remember an issue with them. We are planning on going back again end of this month July. If this is before your planned trip ~ email me and I will give you all the information you need.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: excaret park

rakitty:

Welcome to the board. Its nice to see that two years ago the bugs were not bad.

This year tropical storm Arthur blew through early in the season and the mosquitos have been aweful.

Every year and every month is different, depending on the weather cycles.

I hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: excaret park

can't wait to go, 30 more days

San Francisco
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: excaret park

Xcaret is wonderful. You can snuba, scuba, snorkel, walk at the bottom of the sea, swim in cenotes. It is great to introduce kids to the sea. We've been a couple of times. The nite show is great, it is worth it if you haven't been there.

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: excaret park

Skier05

Thanks for the heads up. I will remember to take the bug spray :)