We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Hey, all -

We just got back from the Bahia Principe Akumal - I'm taking questions! :)

-Patti

ontario
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

What was your room like? Was there construction going on? And how were the mosquitos? Are you going to post a review?

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Janeen-

1. We had a standard room in Villa 60. About a 3 minute walk to the main lobby and pools. The room was perfect for us - king bed, marble floors, huge bathroom, balcony...no real view, but we weren't in the room much, anyway. A/C was a little weak, but the ceiling fan on high helped.

2. We didn't see any construction, but we stayed mostly near the main building, pools and beach. I know there is some going on, but we never saw it or were bothered by it.

3. Mosquitoes - we weren't bitten during the day at the resort. They smoke the bugs out daily (we saw it!) so there were no problems there. At night, we sprayed ourselves with Off and had no problems. We did get eaten alive at Xel-Ha and the Tulum ruins, so if you're planning any trips to those places, spray yourselves with a good repellent (before you get to Xel-Ha, though....they yell at you for using non -biodegradable sunscreen and repellent.

4. I did my review last night, hopefully it will be up soon! :)

stillwater, ok
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Patti,

We will be visiting BPA for the 2nd time this November. When we were there last year, we didn't see anyone parasailing. However, I've read a few reviews that mentioned parasailing at the resort. Do you know anything about it? Did you attend Mexican night at the Hacienda? If so, was it worth the extra money? We didn't attend last year but are considering it for this year.

Thanks for answering our questions. I read your review & enjoyed it as it brought back many, many wonderful memories!

Dorothy

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Dorothy-

There was definitely parasailing, although we didn't do it. We did see several parasailers go out. I believe the area to ask about it is on the beach, walking towards the Tulum side of the resort - there's a whole area that is set up to deal with water activities there.

We didn't do the Mexican festival (it was only on Thursday, and we arrived on a Saturday and left on a Wednesday). :)

-Patti

stillwater, ok
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Thanks Patti!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Believe me the people selling the parasailing will find you on the beach! Remember to barter with them. We also offered food which got one of the kids a free ride (paid for one and the other one went with her at the same time.)

The kids enjoyed the parasailing, but they thought the best part was riding on the jet ski!

stillwater, ok
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Caseybv,

What do you mean you offered food? Do you remember how much it was? I wonder if it's only offered during their busy season. We vacation in Nov & last year we didn't see anybody parasailing.

Dorothy

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Dorothy,

If I remember correctly we paid $100 for a tandem ride (two ride together). My daughter and myself were going to go together. We then paid $10 each for my husband and one of my daughters friends to go on the boat while we were to parasail. I wanted my husband to take pictures of us. This included a ride on the jet ski to take you out to the boat. One of the guys from the parasailing company drives the jet ski and he takes two people at a time out to the boat. He gives you quite a ride too. So after we agreed on that and paid, we asked if my daughter could go with her friend on a tandem ride and I could go separate. It was around lunch time and I offered hamburgers and anything else (from the buffet) that they would like! Well it worked and everyone was happy :)

stillwater, ok
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Caseybv,

What a great idea to offer food! How long was the ride? How far out do they take you? How old is your daughter & her friend? My daughter is 10 & I'm wondering if there's an age restriction.

D

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from BP Akumal...any questions?

Dorothy, Sorry I haven't checked back in a bit. My daughter is 12 and her friend is 16. As long as your daughter is not afraid of heights, she could definately do parasailing. A younger brother/sister tandem went before our ride. I think they were 8 and 10. I don't know if I could of handled that, but they did fine and the dad was not worried at all. I think we were in the air for about 20 minutes. They take you out by jetski (5 minute ride) to the boat. I'm terrible at guessing distances, but you can still see the shoreline.