We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviera Maya Wedding '09

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saskatchewan
2 posts
Save Topic
Riviera Maya Wedding '09

My fiancee and I are planning to get married, mid February of '09, in Mexico.

The Riviera Maya is where we'd like to have the wedding, but that's about as far as we've narrowed it down ... we've been cruisin' Tripadvisor's resort reviews/forums and have gotten alot of helpful information, but we're still very much "up in the air" on where to book.

A little info on us:

- our party will be departing early/mid February '09 from Regina, SK.

- the 2 of us are planning on spending 2 weeks and the majority (if not all) only 1.

- the number of guests will be between 10-20 with ages ranging from 22-50(my fiancee and I will be 26).

- our only real "request" for our wedding is that it be held on the beach (roped off and not too cheesy) or a gazebo, preferably overlooking the ocean (Bahia Tulum).

We are currently looking very closely at 2 possible resorts (at the moment) ... the Grand Sirenis and Grand Princess.

The reason we're looking at these 2 is that we love the idea of a "new" resort and that they are both still reasonably priced ... but each have their pros and cons for us.

The biggest problem is with the Princess and all of its negative reviews and growing pains (it's only a few months old) ... I can't believe how many people have had their safes broken into! ... other than that it looks like heaven with all of the marble and its layout, the beach looks beautiful and is within walking distance to Playa Del Carmen.

The Grand Sirenis has had much better reviews and seems to have worked out alot of kinks over its 2 years of operation. We like the idea of the lazy river, the layout and that it's apparently not overly busy/crowded. The beach is VERY different and has its own pros and cons, but the location of the resort is an issue for us, being so far from Playa and the Airport as well as not being able to go on long walks down the beach to other resorts.

I have friends that have been married at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba/Tulum and we have considered this to be a very safe (back-up) choice, as well as the Iberostar Del Mar/Lindo.

Whats we need are more first-hand opinions and WEDDING PICTURES!!! (we have yet to see any from the Princess).

Please feel free to tell us if we are way off base and should be looking elsewhere entirely.

Email me at me_cnile@yahoo.ca

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

Any resort that has had that many safes broken into, would be off my list. every hotel has growing pains, but that particular problem is a staffing issue I would think.

You would be happy with the Grand Sirenis.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

My friends just got back from the new Princess Resort. They begged to get moved out of there because the food was soooo bad. They moved to the Riu Palace.

Canada de Gomez...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

We are attending a wedding at the Barcelo Colonial this April so I con tell you about that when we get back. However, we are staying athe Gbp and the couple has made arrangements for us to be there for the wedding day.

Leeds
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

Hey

We're getting married in the Grand Sirenis in July. No help to you now, but can tell you that its been pretty easy to sort out already.

Can let you know how it goes!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

Congrats to all the new or new to be brides out there. No matter what hotel you pick, its a great area to get married in.

6. Re: Riviera Maya Wedding '09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 23, 2009