We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Akumal Beach Resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
des moines
3 posts
Save Topic
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Hope this helps someone. We read a forum about this place and it helped us decide where to go. Here is an HONEST opinion of ABR. Went week of Mar 1-8. First I would like to say that I am just reporting facts and am in no way trying to cut down anyone.

First , we hit a heck of a windy week. I know , still better than snow , but it was 25-35 mph winds !

Very uncomfortable here. It just wore you out. I guess March is the windy season...Next , we always travel this week or the one before and even though we have and love kids , this place had the most kids , 7 and under I have ever seen ! Beware if this bothers you. Many parents who drag thier kids along just don't think of others and let them scream and run etc. Just gets annoying unless you expect it.

The food was just as someone else had posted..good and 3 star. And most deserts even though looked good were dry. Bars and drinks good. One big prob I don't understand is why they are so chinzy on ice.. Any kind of ice drink like a pina colada should have ice from top to bottom but you were lucky to have just a few gulps at the top. I bet if you had to pay for them they would be full !! This was common at all of the bars and all drinks. BOO The moonrise bar we loved..hardly anyone there but the main one at times were understaffed for a certain busy time. Sometimes you would be waiting and there were 3 of them behind bar but the other 2 were drying glasses or something and would not budge to help. They would look right at you!

On some good notes..Grounds kept clean all the time. Beach was excellent. Snorkeling excellent and we loved our superior room and balcony in Bldg 6.

The entertainment staff was very energetic and positive. They always had something going on and did good nightly shows , even though very amaturistic.

They do not do a good job of making it clear what is going on for the night. Just an announcement of a show and that is about it. Hard to tell what the heck it is. There was some disco nights but never could tell when they were. They were at 1130 pm on some nights , way too late for most of us.

Towel service good and plenty of papalas. Like someone said and I forgot them..bring bigger mugs for drinks as they do serve them in puny glasses.

My wife had severak massages from the spa and liked them. $55 for 1 hour.

Overall , there are very good things about this resort but the bad ones override our decision to come back again. Dave

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

I've read Sandinmypants and received a PM from Shier05 about the reasons for the deleted posts.

I'm more confused now then before.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

You know Sand, you are 100% right about SOME people. I couldn't have said that better myself.

But then.... if I would have said it SOME people would have had my post deleted.

Good job.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

And, I can't understand why MINE hasn't been....

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Sandi wrote...And, I can't understand why MINE hasn't been....Because sandi you are just too nice.

With all of the post removals the cold weather must be getting to some of us in the upper regions of NA.

Minnesota US
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Mojitos are suppose to have the little pieces of mint in them, it is part of their charm! :) I make them at home all the time and they don't have to be super sweet. I start by crushing the mint leaves with some lime juice, pour it into a shaker, add 7-up or sprite and as much barcardi or gin as you want. Shake, strain and give your car keys to a friend! :)

26. Re: Review of Akumal Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 22, 2009