We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Dolphins

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with Dolphins

Hi, the more I research for this holiday the more I (and my grandsons) need to know. so here are the lastest questions;

Where is the best place to swim with the Dolphins

Is there a water park near with a name like Wet n' Wild

Everyone talks about a trip to Cancun, but what about Playa Del Carmen.

Has anyone taken a trip to Cozumel.

Thanks to all those who recommended the Transfer from the Airport to the hotel, I have taken that advise (as there are 8 of us, with luggage and a wheelchair)I booked with US Transfers the cost was $160 return. cheers...Trevor

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

A post with this subject matter always creates a difference of opinions on this board.

I can not, with a clear conscience, recommend swimming with the dolphins.

Maryland
Level Contributor
833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Like Skier05 says, the topic of swimming with the dolphins is a passionate one and people have their own opinions on it. So just be prepared.

I am not certain which resort you are planning on staying at, but looking at your transfer rate, you are staying south of Cancun.

Check out Xel-Ha if you are interested in the dolphins.

Let me just state again, everyone is entitled to their opinion so lets just help him out.

Take care and enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,988 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

In reference to the dolphin swim:

Personally I think it would be a great once in a life time event. (but very expensive) But, this topic raises a lot of controversy (on this forum). Do your own research and decide yourself if swimming with the dolphins is a good thing or a bad thing.

Never heard of a "wet n'wild" water park.

I believe 5th street in Playa Del Carmen is where all the good shopping and night time partying will be found.

It has been many years since I took a trip to Cozumel. I think I heard the cost of the ferry is $40. I believe the ferry ride is about 45 minutes one way. That being said, I think you will find a trip to Cozumel will be an all day affair.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver , Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

DO not let the nerds on here make you not try the Dolphin swim. I am sure all the people who hate them being captive eat meat and other things..

The wife has said that it is Organic swimming with them and highly recommends it...

Go and enjoy..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

LOL, nerds???

The 70's called and want you back, lol

I crack me up!!

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Hola CruiserBracknell-

You can also try : http://www.xcaret.com/dolphins.php

The Xcaret park is spendy, but other cool things to do as well, try the underground river float!

Enjoy..

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,211 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

We swam with the dolphins at puerto aventuras really loved it try the web site, we booked before we left not sure if it saves money or not but they pick you up from the hotel..

Wet n wild i take it you mean like the one in orlando i remember seeing one on the outskirts of cancun but we never tried it (not sure what its called)..

We really liked playa carman for a night out shopping and a chance to get out of the hotel for a meal lots of good resaurants and bars and the typical style holiday shops if your are after designer clothes then the shopping malls in cancun might suit you more but its about an hour and half in a cab

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

I agree with skier, its just not the right thing to do. When i lived in the Florida keys i dated that daughter of the owner of the dolphin research center in the keys. The dolphins were allowed to go and go as they please, and they did offer dolphin swimming. In mexico, they are not free animals, and do not benefit from it, so make your own decision

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
9. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 pm, January 08, 2009
Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

As with a previous post we swam with the Dolphins at Puerto Adventurous. Initially I was going to go to Xcaret but the park is a whole day of activities (don't miss the show... it's amazing and well worth it and the seafood buffet) and the decision was good so we could enjoy the day at our leisure. I was also more appreciative of the actual site for swimming with the dolphins at PA over Xcaret. We did the $99 swim and enjoyed it very much and have great once in a life time memory. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,211 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico