We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must "DO's" in Akumal area

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kingston, Ontario
12 posts
Save Topic
Must "DO's" in Akumal area

We are off to the Grand Sirenis Feb 24 - Mar 2. This is my first trip to Mexico. Last vacay was in Punta Cana and we were going to go back but thought we would try something different this year. I was wondering what one or two things people would recommend and had a good experience doing in the Akumal area(i.e. snorkelling, ruins, playa de carmen, etc). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,485 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Snorkel in Akumal bay with the turtles.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,122 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Snorkelling in Akumal is awesome. Ask just about anyone on this forum about that. Ruins, haven't been there in a long time, would rather spend my time on the beach (just my opinion). PDC is awesome for shopping, love doing it, especially the fruit vendors down by the water.

There are alot of people on this forum that can give you great insight.

As for PDC, we go for 2 weeks at a time and are in town probably twice a week, only because we love it there, but prefer to stay at the Bahia. We, well the ladies did, loved seeing the Walmart, crazy, I know, but it was amazing. We bought mangos and lots of fruit there and had a feast on the beach. Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Coba ruins. The only ones in the area you can climb. :o)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

DDF - haven't been down by the water in Playa... we'll have to go there next time! For some reason my hubby just wants to shop.... Hmmm.

Kingston, Ontario
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take your advice.

Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Stop at LOL HA for lunch.....have the coconut shrimp on the patio overlooking the bay...the shrimp are as big as bananas!.... Well, almost...

Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

oh...by the way, Snorkle there,n the Akumal Bay. In about an hour of snorkeling, saw 6 or 7 turtles, a couple of rays, barracuda, and tons of fish....best part, it's free!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,122 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
West Michigan
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

is there a BETTER time to go to PDC for shopping? morning? afternoon? are shops open evenings? do the collectivo run in evenings? Also is most everything you want to see shop wise on 5th ave? We went there about 7 years ago and went to PDC and dont remember being impressed at all..thinking maybe we went the wrong place..just seemed like little shops and dirty?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Tulum beach walk

Mentioned in this post
Tulum Beach
Tulum Beach
308 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must "DO's" in Akumal area

Ginka,

Things have changed alot in the last 7 years in PDC.

The shops are open in the evenings, and there have been alot of "improvements". We like to go in the morning, before it gets crowded, and before it gets hot. Most everything you could want is on 5th Ave....but is has now sprawled down each side street to. The further off 5th Avenue you get, the more aggressive the sellers are...but, the prices are better ultimately, if you like the haggle scene.