We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal beach resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
5 posts
Save Topic
Akumal beach resort

Hey All,

Can anyone give personal + or - for this resort..?

service quality ??

food quality ??

$$$$$$ paid per ea for 2 people for 1 or 2 weeks;

would sure appreciate some feedback...

Thanks

Claud

WOOOOOOOOF

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal beach resort

We stayed there in Sep 06. The food was bland but, I've read they changed chefs since then. We went during a holiday and the specialty rest. were closed.

The beds were hard. Very hard!! But, I've experienced the same thing at other resorts.

We stayed in building 6 (without children) and enjoyed the peace and quite that building 6 & 7 give. The resort is a 3 star and small. Nothing is very far away. The entertainment staff was great. Many activities for children. The chamber maids did a fine job of cleaning the rooms. Nothing great, but nothing worth complaining about. About the third day into our 7 day stay, the chamber maid started making neat animals from our towels. That was cool. We rewarded her efforts. Security was everywhere and we did feel safe. Parking for the rental car was small but hey! No big deal. Except when it rained. Would be nice to have a paved parking lot, but again, no big deal. Bar tenders and food staff people were very professional. The first room we were assigned had several things wrong (outlet dead, hair drier dead, lamp not working, alarm clock not working) but maintenence was quick to respond. We ended up moving because they could not fix the AC. The snack bar had great food and served our purpose for lunch. Having a safe in the room was a nice touch.

For Akumal Beach Resort , 2 adults, 1 week, Sep. 9 - 16, would be $ 980.00. This includes:1 superior room, meals, beverages, activities, tax and gratuity. It does not include airfare or airport transfers.

This resort filled our needs in 06. But we have found a cheaper hotel in Half Moon Bay (not an AI) which fills our needs better.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal beach resort

I personally would not stay here as we prefer the higher end resorts. If you are looking for plian and simple on a great beach, then this is for you. If you are looking to be pampered then I would not recommend it.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal beach resort

We spent our last two holidays(2006 and 2007) at ABR---each time for two weeks.

Place is small and everthing is easily within walking distance.

Staff are great and very accomodating.

Great turtle snorkling right off the beach --in fact other resorts bring there guest here to snorkel(I am told at great expense). We went to ABR because of the snorkling--we did it almost every day.

However, it is a 3 star resort and as such the food after a while becomes very monotonus. You won't go hungry but the selection is limited. This year we have elected to go to a large 5 star resort.

Cost out of Ottawa for two weeks in Feb for standard room was about $4700.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal beach resort

We loved ABR. Were there in April 2007. We are beach peole. Scenery people. If you get tired of the food, there are nice restauants a short walk up the beach.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal beach resort

If you want the best beach & snorkeling and are not fussy about the room and food, go for ABR

10 star beach & 3 star resort. In addition you get to meet all the staff and they are great

PM me and I can send you some great photos

6. Re: Akumal beach resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Akumal