We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cnada
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

We're looking at the GBP and I'm trying to decide which section. Proximity to the calmest section of the beach is the most important, and then getting a suite over a basic room.

Basically for a beach we'd like a sandy section with calm water for swimming, and our kids are small so calm water (weather permitting) is ideal.

Thanks!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

Akumal side has the calm roped off area at the beach for kids.

illinois
Level Contributor
568 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

Take another look at ABR .. it has an awesome beach ..great for little people...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

As stated above, the beach in front of the Akumal is safe for kids. There is a small bay that kids can play in without waves.

The Bahia Coba is newer and in my opinion nicer. It is about 5 mins from the beach. But equal distance to the beach from some of the Akumal villas.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
14,361 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

If you don't want a "basic room", you most likely don't want the ABR, even though it currently resides on one of the best beaches in the area. (Currently).

The Tulum section has the most beachfront villas. However, don't book the Diamond section, as the villas there aren't on a swimmable part of the beach. If you can book a jr. suite in the normal part of Tulum, that would be a good bet, or book a jr. suite in the normal part of Akumal, not Club Golden. There's a very nice section of the beach in front of Akumal where many people with small kids hang out, but the biggest problem with Akumal is that many of the villas aren't on a swimmable portion of the beach, either.

So, it's a bit of a toss-up, a lot will depend on the time of year you're going.... Will the resort be at capacity?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

The Akumal side of this resort is perfect for children, the beach is sandy and the water is calm.

mexicancook
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

Skier and sand.... you have been helpful so I'm going to chime in on this thread and ask another question. What about ocean view rooms? We booked the Akumal because of the beach and swimmable area for our two young kids (3 and 5) but my DH would like an ocean view. Does TUlum offer that over Akumal? Our travel agent says there are no ocean views in the Akumal section.

Thanks,

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

I have to laugh at Travel agent advice. Some are better than others but if an agent has never been to a resort, how can they give advice. "No ocean view rooms in the Akumal section", LOL, thats rich, lots of ocean view rooms.

I'd get a new travel agent.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

There are very few ocean views on the Akumal side, but they do exist. The Tulum side has quite a few ocean views. Coba has none.

If you've already booked into the Akumal section, and you've booked during a peak travel time when the resort is going to be close to or at capacity, and this is your first time there, chances are pretty slim you'll get an ocean view, to be very honest.

Personally, I think ocean views are over-rated. We are NEVER in our room! We spend all day, every day, on the beach, where we have the ocean view all day long!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

skier - there aren't that many ocean views on the Akumal side. Many of the villas are set back from the ocean. The Club Golden section has some villas on the shore, but not many. Some rooms will give you a "sliver" of an ocean view....

As I said, ocean views are over-rated, in my opinion.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GBP - Akumal or Tulum, beach for kids.

bahia - kids - beach = akumal

that said, you can walk to either from either side.