We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

We went snorkeling for a day to see the turtles and loved it and would like to stay there for my next mexican trip. Can anyone advise? The hotels that come up under 'akumal hotels' seem to be quite far up the coast?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

just the one, The ABR, many condos in the next bay over, Half Moon Bay.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

Actually, while there is only one "All-Inclusive" on Akumal Bay there are a couple of hotels. Club Akumal Caribe is a non all-inclusive, immediately to the north of Akumal Bay, just to the south of the Lol Ha.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

Not a big fan of Club Akumal Caribe myself, sorry I only mentioned hotels I would stay at myself. The hotels/condos in Akumal bay, although OK, are in a bad need of some renovation.

IMHO

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

I was just listing the options for her, not commenting on their suitability for her as I don't know her taste.

I personally love the ABR, but also know people who have gone to Club Akumal Caribe and also loved it. Just personal taste. Personally, I would definitely go there with my family if something happened and we couldn't go to the ABR. My family prefers these places to the bigger "mega--resorts". But of course, this is all a matter of preference. The poster seemed to love AKumal Bay so this id probably a priority for her.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

Like I mentioned, IMHO, we all have one, lol

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

We like Hotel Akumal Caribe and Villas Maya (we stay in the hotel because we want to be right on the ocean and have a patio or balcony, but the bungalows are quite roomy and I have heard some of them are being remodeled) and have been there at least six times. The rooms are clean, with two queen or one king bed, 3 story, 21 rooms, have fridge, coffee maker, A/C, 5 gallon bottled water. A few of the rooms have kitchenettes.

The ABR is also on Akumal Beach, five minute walk away from Lol-ha restaurant and beach bar. 3 start resort with 5 star beach, and although we normally do not care for AIs (just personal preference), if I could not get into HAC I would seriously consider ABR. It has many many fans over on LG board. Some consider it too basic however and the food is supposed to be so-so. One of these times am going to have to buy a day pass and check it out.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

Thanks 55vineyard.

A lot of people that go to the Akumal Caribe want a place right on Akumal Bay but not an all-inclusive. We don't mind all-inclusives but agree that the food can get boring after a while (and I've been to lots - they are all similar!). We like ABR because it is a good base and cheap enough so tht we don't feel guilty about still eating out occasionally as there are some good retsaurants in Akumal. The ocean in fromnt of either place is hard to beat!!!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

skier - you said you only mentioned resorts that you would stay at...you would stay at the ABR? Truly?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

I personally would not stay at the ABR but, I would not give it a "not stay" recommendation.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotels are in Akumal bay?

skier:

Have you stayed at either place before? (ABR or Akumal Caribe). Just wondering why you'd give the Akumal Caribe a "don't stay". Pretty much everyone I've heard of that stayed at the Akumal Caribe has liked it but of course everyone is different. Just wondering because its our "back-up" in case the ABR is ever booked or sold to a "Palace" type resort.