We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Topic
Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

I have been to the following resorts in Mexico: Barcelo, Moon Palace, Copacabana (is that still around?) and Gran Bahia Coba. We loved all...each having their own things we liked better than others. We covered those resorts in the past 6 years. I am thinking about Punta Cana next year. Anyone wish to share the comments, what resort in Punta or compare the two. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

Skelt, I have been to DR twice, once to Puerto Plata and once to Punta Cana. Punta Cana has much nicer beaches. In both cases I have visited Iberostar resorts and liked it a lot. The Punta Cana complex of Iberostars is composed of Iberostar Dominicana, Iberostar Punta Cana and Iberostar Bavaro (being the most expensive). You can use facilities at all three resorts, however dining in Bavaro is only for their guests. If you stay in Bavaro you can use dining in the other two Iberostars, but not other way around.

I found Iberostars to be quite consistent in terms of delivered quality of service. You can find out more by searching on this TA for reviews, on google or debbies dominican travel. Do not forget about bringing home their good rum: Barcelo Imperial is very good and Brugal is also good and much cheaper.

Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

I personally would never return to Punta Cana again... Yes I agree the beaches are better but I did not feel safe there. I dont know what it was but I feel much better in mexico.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

We don't care for Jamaica, either, we didn't feel safe there. For some reason the RM is our place to be!

Having said that, however, we have some friends that want to head to Punta Cana next spring so we'll probably be making our first trip there in April, not sure what resort we'll be looking at. I'll have to do some research after the first of the year, right now I'm concentrating on getting back to the Bahia in six weeks, then I'll get past the holidays and THEN worry about next spring's vacation!

I'll be watching you research in the meantime, skelt!

toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

Too many reviews from Punta Cana with people getting sick.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

We have been to the Punta Cana twice, Bahia Principe and Bavaro Princess, also in La Romana(Bayahibe) Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus once and we loved it, We have never been sick...the beaches are beautiful and the people are very nice...The food was delicious...

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus has always been are #1 favorite up till now ..Maybe the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya will change that...

we will just have to wait and see.We never go back twice to the same resort...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

Hi All

My wife & I have been to the DR a number of times, both Punta Cana and Puerto Plata.

The Punta Cana area has the nicest beaches I have seen and We really enjoyed the resorts we stayed at. They happen to be side by side and both massive. The Riu Complex 5 resorts and the Bahia Principe (3 names, same place 1500+ Junior suites.

No sickness at all and I would return to either in minute.

unknown
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

I have stayed at the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana and Mayan Riviera.

The beach in Punta Cana is much more beautiful. HOWEVER, cooler water since it is not carribean water. The resort=both are pretty much the same.

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

Is it safe in the DR to go into town and do side trips or do most people just stick to their resorts?

That's why we love the Riveria Maya because of the towns and so many places to visit and explore.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

I have been to punta cana 2 times it does not feel as safe as playa but we still had a geat time.Stayed at the Ocean blue and the straw market is to the left and right on the beach. We took one tour to see the sharks felt safe on the tour.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riveria Maya vs. Punta Cana

also I feel safer at the punta cana airport than cancun...