We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

OMG !! Our Documents are in and the plane ticket is in my daughter maiden name and her passport is in her married name!! She never thought to change it.. Now we are 26 days away and hoping we can straighten things out.

Airline will not change the last name on the ticket!!

Airline states they will not accept a marriage cert with ticket and name change afeter Sept 30th ( we are leaving the 21st)

All they tell us is for her to get to the post office ASAP.

???? Any other suggestions ?????

All you new brides out there please don't let this happen to you!!

I am so stressed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

I am confused..sounds like travel agent put the airline ticket in the wrong name..if passport is in married name ..she must of been married now divorced, back to her maiden name? If this is so she could probaly use her divorce papers to prove the name at customs/immigrations. No overnight mail?? She must not be worried as you and as a smoker, put down them cigarettes, you will regret it.....Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

Well, see, sweetpeainpa says in her last post that she's "getting the passport put in her married name". But, she states in the initial post that the passport is in her married name.

I can't stop reading this post, but at the same time it's making me bonkers. I'm just glad I'm not the confused one!

Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

sandinmypants..

this post also has me wondering, like a mystery...i bet girl was married, had passport in married name, divorced changed her name back to maiden name on everything but passport and did not think it was important booking this trip until travel agent had already booked everything...I feel sorry for the mom , she is freaking out..could ruin her vacation...sweetpeainpa...fill us in on the details and maybe we can help...I have traveled with step kids, my own kids, letters from their father giving permission to leave the country etc.,, been there done that...we are here to help.....good luck from Connecticut!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

I think, somewhere on here, there was a post saying that the "newlyweds and oldyweds" are traveling together to the same resort that her daughter honeymooned at last year. It's like a puzzle and until we have all the pieces..... But some of the pieces we have seem to go to OTHER puzzles....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

my original post was mixed up I meant to write passport is in her maiden name, Ticket is in her married name.

Bottom line we now have a mailed passport in my daughters maiden name and the plane ticket is in her married name.

She mailed it via regular mail ##%%$%%#. She did write expediated on the envelope. I really can't enjoy my countdown now. Everything is too screwed up at this point. We are now just in a wait and see what happens mode!!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

Ooookaaaay, now I'm on board! So the plane ticket is in her married name and the passport is in her maiden name. That makes a whole bushel full of sense now! I can see why the airline won't change the ticket, the ticket is correct. And, if you expedited the passport, even tho she mailed it regular mail, just get on the phone to your congressperson next week and let them know what's going on and make sure you have it. Relax, you'll be fine! You have three weeks, people have done this in as little as one. You may have to spend a lot of time on the phone, and harrass a bunch of people, but don't let up until you get it done. You'll be sitting in paradise with a drink in your hand, and your daughter will be right beside you! Just keep at it.

I know some people don't think about things like passports when they get married & change their name, so let it be a reminder to anyone getting ready to travel...IS YOUR PASSPORT CORRECT? IS IT STILL GOOD?

The thing that I keep thinking about is what happens when all of these passports that were issued at the same time (in the last six months) are due to expire? The passport offices are going to be going crazy trying to do all of the renewals, just like they're going crazy right now trying to get them all issued.... We already decided we're going to renew a year early, even though we got our passports well ahead of the mass majority...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

sweetp-

you are NOT in a wait a see mode. Do what Sandinpants says.

Get in contact with you senators and congressmans offices. They have the power to get your application pushed thru the system. I know, because I had to do the exact same thing and call my congressmans office. They were a big help.

They can also make sure it is returned to you via overnight shipping.

toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

This happened to me, the airline charged me 25.00 to fix the ticket.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

Her ticket is correct, therefore the airline won't change it. She had to get her passport corrected.

For anyone, going forward: If you're in a real bind, there are services that will take care of this for you, for a fee. It might cost extra, but it takes the headache and worrying about it off of your shoulders. Just do a search on-line for passport renewal services, that type of thing.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Boy did we screw up re: passport in maiden name!!

TRIP ADVISOR BOARD TO THE RESCUE!!

Thank you everyone. We will wait a week and start the calls to her congressmen. You have been so helpful.. all of you, and sorry for the confusing way I made the first post. You all have actually made me feel better about things. The reason for my original post was just to warn people to not let this happen to them!!!

SWEETPEA AND THE KWEEZE