We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money - Bahia P. Akumal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Money - Bahia P. Akumal

Did you need peso's or was US Money ok?

And where is the best place to change money over?

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money - Bahia P. Akumal

We took both with us. We always paid in pesos, except tipping, that was always in US. We always exchanged our US into pesos in Playa del Carmen. Rate is better there than the hotel. Also there is a bank in Tulum (or so I am told), but check the hours first. Tulum isn't that far away.

Denver CO
Level Contributor
30 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money - Bahia P. Akumal

They readily take both everywhere. We brought down 100 in singles for tipping and exchanged $400 for pesos before we left. We wound up not using alot of the pesos.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money - Bahia P. Akumal

There is an ATM at the Hacienda Dona Isabel where you can withdraw pesos using your ATM card. Of course, my bank at home charges an arm and a leg per withdrawal so we were dinged pretty hard for not properly estimating how much we'd need in pesos and having to visit ATMs several times.

Most for-pay services at BPA (scuba diving and parasailing, for example) will take credit cards; the spa puts its charge on your hotel bill. The only place at the hotel where I would have liked to have had more pesos is the lobby shop--their exchange rate is really bad, and they require a minimum purchase before they'll accept a credit card (I can't remember how much you have to spend but I think maybe 200 pesos.)