We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massage at GBP

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Massage at GBP

Hi...

We are headed to BP Coba in less then 7 weeks (but who is counting - haha) and I was really looking forward to pampering myself with a massage or 2. I think I read a recent review saying the spa was awful ??

Is this true?

I am hoping not and if not, does anyone have any recommendations for a particular spa and/or treatment? How about prices? Anyone use it recently? I looked online but wasn't able to find any sort of 'menu'.

Thanks....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Massage at GBP

my wife and i had a couples massage (both at the same time in the same room): i had the deep-tissue massage (i need it since i see a chiropractor regularly for my back & hips) and she had the relaxing massage

we did the 50 min masssage and it cost about 1000 pesos for each massage. definitely more than the cdn$80 i pay for 60 minutes in torotno at my chiro's clinic.

the spa was very clean and very elegant; my massage therapist was skilled as he asked to see how the pressure was 5 minutes into the massage. the therapists go through a routine where they massage different muscle groups in order; however they go very briefly over the lower back and completely skip the hips & glutes.

my wife enjoyed her massage and was very relaxed, although 50min was too short for her. she recommends the massage at the spa and if you have back problems (like me) i recommend the deep tissue massage.

didn't know if it was normal practice or not, but we tipped about $25 (total for the both of us) when they greeted us after we left the massage room.

a few of things:

1. they ask you to disrobe completely and they use sheets to keep you covered. they then fold the sheets to expose the specific parts to be massaged. if you are uncomfortable with that, you should let them know.

2. if there is a muscle group that you need focus on, i recommend speaking up as the massage starts; they don't really ask you as they have a set routine they follow.

3. ask to see if you could get a robe before the massage as my wife complained about the greasy feeling after the massage. also see if you can use their showers to wash off the lotion before putting your clothes on (we didn't think of that until after we left)

overall, we were pretty satisfied with the massage

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Massage at GBP

4ceps

what is a deep-tissue massage.....

never heard of it before...or maybe it s a different name here...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Massage at GBP

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Deep_tissue_massage

i'm not a massage therapist, so here's my own perspective:

deep tissue massage is usually needed by people with muscle problems. i have tight muscles in the hips, glutes & lower back from long-term sitting in a poor position at work. in order to get relief from that, those muscles have to be worked on deeply & thoroughly to get some loosening and relief.

in contrast, a swedish massage is more for relaxing & tension-relief in the superficial layers. it doesn't work the deep tissues. someone with muscle problems, like i do, will feel no or minimal relief from a swedish massage

14. Re: Massage at GBP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 10, 2009