We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun excursions from GBP?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
fun excursions from GBP?

OK, so I've booked my direct flight and resort, and got a good deal on both, now what about excursions? We only have 5 days,(that's all my cousin could get off work) She spends her life taking care of other people and never goes on vacation.I really want her to have a good time. I thought two days away from the resort would be reasonable. It looks like taking the collectivo into PDC for a day would be fun and maybe stop in Akumal on the way back. I would feel remiss if we didn't see any ruins tho. Are there any all day excursions you can book online before we go? I think one day of bussing it will be enough. Any suggestions appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fun excursions from GBP?

The jungle tour with zip lines, repelling and a ceynote would be my choice. If you want to see ruins, take the collectivo to the Tulum site, only take you a morning and you would not take to much time away from the beach. There is a beach at the Tulum ruins site but at the moment the stairs that allow access are still in need of repair after Hurrican dean.

Type Jungle Jim tours in the google search engine and it should point you in the right direction.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun excursions from GBP?

Personally, if you want to do an organized tour, I wouldn't do the Tulum ruins, they're too "touristy". Go with the Coba ruins, they just seem so much more "Mayan" somehow. Even if you're not wanting to walk up them, although that's the highlight of the whole thing.... If you're wanting more of an adventure-type of tour, go with the Mayan adventure tour. And, booking on-line is really over-rated, wait until you get there and then book, see what you feel like doing and on what day....

If you don't want anything adventurous, you may want to consider the ruins at Chichen Itza, it's a longer drive/ride, but it's exactly what you picture in your mind when you think "Mayan Ruins".

Ayr, Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fun excursions from GBP?

Xel - Ha would be a good choice for the day if you love the water and snorkeling. It's just down the road by collectivo, and a short walk from the road.

Advanced tickets are available on line at a discount.

4. Re: fun excursions from GBP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 09, 2009