We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
rent a car?

My hubby and I were thinking of renting a car from the cancun airport and driving to the GBP tulum, and suggestions? Are the roads marked? Is it an easy drive? I guess they have carseats available. And do they have parking at the resort? Or should we just take the private car to the resort from the airport?

Bremerton Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: rent a car?

My husband, 2 small daughters and I have rented a car in mexico 3 times and we will rent again in 3/2008. The only thing we have had happen to us is a flat tire so make sure you have a good spare. We have rented once at the Cancun airport and twice in Cabo San Lucas. My husband does the driving. We always gate check our 2 car seats so that the children have their car seats. Mexico is a great place to vacation with children. I know that many posts disagree with taking children but when else would you get to vacation if you did not take the kids.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: rent a car?

Folks,

Yes I am aware of the discussions and know many people prefer to not rent cars when in Mexico, especially if they are not doing too many excursions. I am sorry if you feel I came on too strong, but think that if people are aware of the possible scams they are in a better position to make an informed decision.

Others prefer to rent a car for just the day or two they want to go somewhere, rather than go on an organized tour. (My husband would shoot me or divorce me if I ever booked us on something like that, but realize that many others prefer to have everything all taken care of for them.

Still others prefer to rely on taxis, buses or collectivos or some combination of the 3.

This is kind of a decision each person has to make on their own, just feel they should try and make an informed decision.

Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: rent a car?

I feel sorry for you if your husband would shoot you or divorce you for booking a tour. The couple of million people a year that book tours in Mexico are being practical and have heed all the warnings. Maybe you should heed the warnings of your own home, it seems like you would be safer renting in a car in Mexico than living with your husband. For some reason though, I think your husband it not that bad, he wants to be on his own not tied down, you probaly just worded it wrong.......Went on the white vans, very cheap, only a couple a people on a few trips and it was great. Everyone got off where they wanted to and when they wanted to. I will defend you...your post did not come off well, made everyone who booked a tour sound like a spoiled brat and not able to do anything on your own. Do go to Playa Del Carmen , the general store has tons of gifts for great prices!!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: rent a car?

That was nice, lol

montreal
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: rent a car?

We have rented a car on two different trips recently, for a total of three weeks and we also drove our own all through the Yucatan and then north along the Mexican east coast all the way to the US and Canada, that was many years ago. We do not speak Spanish at all, but always carry some kind of dictionary with us and try our best to communicate in Spanish. We always find the roads are easy to drive on (compared to some of our roads in Montreal...), it is easy to get around and never had any scam happen to us at gas stations. We even broke down a few times when driving our own car (a 1973 Land Rover from Belize) and we had police officers stop to help make the necessary repairs for us to go on. We have great pictures of those moments!

But of course, we are aware that anything could happen. We are always attentive at the Pemex when getting gas. Thousands of people rent cars in Mexico every year and they have great things to say about it. And I guess many people also have had bad experiences and they will say never to do it...

We will definitely rent a car again on our next trip to Mexico this winter, there is so much more to see in that beautiful country than the limits of a resort!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: rent a car?

hi skier just back from two weeks!!!! our rental car was 297.00us for two weeks, just there mandatory insurance. never had full coverage hope this helps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: rent a car?

Thanks shermie

NYC
11 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: rent a car?

My husband and I will be in cancun next month, and made decision to rent a car for one or two days. This is our first time to Mexico.

We know all the rent car scam stories, but still want to try it. I plan to visit ruin Chichen Itza, ruin Ek Balam and colonial town Valladolid in one day, because they are really nearby and no group tour for it in all one day except private tour. Rent car is the only way to make it and have some advantages too, such as avoid wasting time for picking up from one resorts to another, getting there earlier before crowds and etc. Balance all good and bad things for renting a car, we finally decided to do it and make sure we should know how to deal with bad situation before set out, besides, my husband is very confident for driving with some experience driving in a few other foreign countries.

My point here is do it or don't do it is just a personal choice regarding to personal favor and how to make trip easy and joyful.

Hope my post helps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: rent a car?

yvette_sh:

Make sure you come back and let us all know how it went. Have a great trip.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: rent a car?

I was wondering too about how much insurance is for a car rental. We have booked a car for 10 days in October and it's only $180, which is great. To get transportation alone from the airport, and not private, it is $150 roundtrip and we also plan on doing some excusions on our own. We go to Mexico almost once a year and thankfully have never had a problem when renting a car. And we were surprised how nice the roads are. It's nice to have a car when you have kids, they get too tired from being on a tour for too long and with your own car you can make your own schedule. Again, we have never had a problem and hope we don't in the future. We both speak perfect spanish also and are ready for them if they try to scam us.