We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Grand Sirenis

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Grand Sirenis

Hi there,

We are thinking of going to GSRM this March and have a few questions.

-Are there waiters on the beach to serve drinks?

-It says there are 2 Cenotes and 5 virgin beaches but the reviews and other forums don't seem to talk about 5 beaches?

-What are the closest towns and how much does it cost to get to them by taxi?

-where is the dive shop?

Any help would be appreciated.

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Grand Sirenis

HI we were there in april and I can help with a few questions.

Yes there are waitresses who work the beach, the work their buns off all day serving drinks and collecting empties.

There are two cenotes and it was kind of fun finding them, not sure if I should specify where they are. The beaches I believe they would call 2 of them basically up and running right there in front of the two resorts side by side, closer to the mayan side there is a beach bar. The other beaches are further up where they are currently building more hotels for this resort. They're quite nice actually but you have to walk over rough ironstone (sp?) to get to them but you'll find lots of space at the two that are right there.

Akumal is a 5 mintue drive and playa is about 25 minutes away. We just hopped on the collectivos that come every few minutes along the highway and they cost $2 so I'm not sure about cab fare, never took one.

The dive shop is right on the beach just behind the beach bar. There is also a dive shop at Akumal beach too.

Hope this helps

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Grand Sirenis

JP71,

Thank you so much for the information. Did you enjoy the resort??

Anything you didn't like about it?

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Grand Sirenis

yes we loved the resort!! How can you not when you're looking at such beauty.

Some things to be aware of...

-try to get 3rd floor, I would think first floor would be a little noisy from "hallway" noise (you;ll know exactly what I mean when you see it)

-the resort has a big foot print so be prepared for a bit of walking, at first it feels way too big. But before you know it, you have a feel for the place and it's not more than a couple of minutes to walk from your room to anywhere you want to go.

-top shelf liqour at the lobby bars, we brought the insulated cups and made a trip there a couple of times a day. The pool bar booze definately was not even close to what you can get at the lobbies.

-it's still a young resort so plant life etc will continue to fill in.

-If you need something just ask your concierge, if there's not one right there in your building they're just one building over.

-oh and the beach is sandy but to get into the water for the most part you have to navigate over a few feet of dead coral then you're back into sand, if you have tender feet you WILL want water shoes. I have pretty tough feet but it was a bit of a challenge to get over in barefeet. Bring snorkel gear if you have it and if at all possible head over to akumal for a day snorkeling and hit yal-ku lagoon while there (walking distance) it is incredible!!!

enjoy!!

any other questions fire away...

GRR- Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Grand Sirenis

dive shop

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_0773.jpg

5. Re: Questions about Grand Sirenis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 07, 2009