We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

Anyone been to both? I'm looking for a great hotel to take a group to and would really like a 4*. The reviews for ABR are so great but all the different room categories bother me as who knows where anyone could end up. Any comparisons out there?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

Thanks rucruizin, ABR looking better all the time!

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

RUcruizin:

Are you sure you are talking about the Akumal Beach Resort? There is no bad review posted there and we've been there a couple of times in the last year - we love it.

Perhaps you're referring to the Oasis Akumal. We stayed there 3 times, but the last time was about 8 years ago, so we can't comment on how it is today. We liked it then. However, we are decidedly unpicky about most things EXCEPT the beach. We love the beach in front of both ABR and Oasis.

In contrast, we stayed at the Bahia Akumal two Christmases ago and did NOT like it because we didn't like the beach. So, it all depends on what is important to people.

The ABR is a lovely place but it is not luxurious.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

Just checked and RUCruizin was definitely talking about the Oasis Akumal NOT the Akumal Beach Resort when he referred to the Fodor travel lady dissing this place. Not only did she hate it, but the three reviews below hers did not seem happy.

I do think the reviews on the Oasis are much more mixed and unflattering than the ABR. I personally like the ABR better too (though I liked the Oasis too!), but again it's been a while since I was at the Oasis Akumal, whereas we've been to the ABR a few times very recently and are going again in 3 weeks. Feel free to ask any more specific questions - I'd be happy to answer them.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

We'll be at ABR for just a few nights this July. I actually added it in between our nights at the Fiesta Americana Beach in Cancun and the Riu Palace in Playa del Carmen, after reading so many great reviews about ABR on Locogringo.com.

Travellinfool~~Locogringo forum can answer a lot of questions for you, too.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

Thanks so much. It always a tough decision with so much out there!

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

I'm confused. Are the bad reviews for the ABR or the Oasis? I've looked under the ABR reviews and all of the reviews still look very positive.

Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: ABR versus Oasis Tulum......

Stayed at Oasis Tulum March 2005 for two weeks and 10 days last year at ABR.

Rooms: ABR majority had ocean view, room set up itself I preferred ABR. In room safes were supplied free of charge at ABR but had to pay 4.00 per day at Oasis. ABR appeared to be smaller resort, never lost power or hot water. At Oasis they would lose power at dinner time a few nights and also shortage of hot water 3 days. They had just expanded the hotel that year and they were still working a few details out!

Pool: Oasis had swim up bars, main pool area larger and had more pools vs one at ABR

Beach: Both were awsome, both have reefs so snorkeling is good at both places. ABR can walk to Akumal Bay for a little shopping and at Oasis you are within walking distance to Bahia Principl Resort that has more stores and selection than ABR. Walking area itself along beach Oasis is very soft and longer area to walk and shelling more plentiful.

Bars: Oasis had beer and Pina Colados on tap!!!

Food: Great at both places, but Oasis had overall better selection of seafood.

Entertainment: ABR did not start until 10 so we did not see many shows. Oasis started at nine and was a little more upscale and party atmosphere. Entertainment crew at Oasis was awsome. Quieter times at ABR.

You won't be disappointed at either place. Good value for the money.

Get answers to your questions about Akumal