We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal area activities

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal area activities

My wife and I are going to be staying at Oasis Akumal next week and we are wondering what kinds of fun excursions to go on. I looked at the Eco parks (Xcaret and Xel-ha) and we are planning to go to one of them. I was hoping to do some local shopping and possibly see some ruins other than the ones at the Eco parks.

Also what is the best way of getting around? I am not planning on renting a car.

Any suggestions would be great.

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal area activities

Would also love any suggestions. Going in June. We were planning to rent a car so we don't feel trapped at the resort. Some people say "collectivo" buses are fine. Any thoughts? Any dinner recommendations for days when we just can't handle one more buffet meal at the Oasis?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal area activities

sorry, I seem to post the sames things over and over but here goes again. Eat/drink at the La Buena Vida on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. Excellent in every way. Wonderful snorkeling right from there for free. Would also recommend either Xel-Ha or Yal-Ku lagoon (in Akumal; only $6 each). We usually have a rental car but everyone swears by the collectivos. You would have a very long walk into Akumal from the highway esp if you went to Yal-Ku. Taxi should be fine too.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal area activities

Haven't gone there yet--but Xel-ha is much more money--Yal Ku is $6.00 to get in. Heard to get to Yal-Ku at 8:00 so you can leave when crowds/tours get there.

Alkumal bay is free.

From the hotel you can a taxi right to the beach for $5.00 - 6.00.

Might try to the collectivo to the ruins just for the experience.

Also collectivo to PDC for shopping is a lot cheaper than a taxi!

Have fun!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
571 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal area activities

mattrossk,

when in June?

Hey vitale, haven't seen you around in a while...nice to see you back.

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal area activities

We will be there June 24 and on for a week or so. Hopefully, you will post when you get back!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal area activities

rucruizin....remember when we talked about going to the mountains in the summer and how I would rather go to the beach? Well...I am 6+ mos prego and can't get to MX no matter how I try to work it. We are now planning a trip to the mountains Mid June...Glenwood Springs for a few days (and Aspen) and then maybe Steamboat Springs too. No camping this time. :-) Still really wish it was Akumal!!!!!!!!!

Ft Lauderdale
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal area activities

I would recommend Xcaret, it is touristy and expensive but unlike anything i have seen before. Xelha is pretty, but Yalku lagoon has just as many fish, is much less crowded and expensive, and is overall a much easier experience. It might require a rental car, but for Mayan Ruins you can't beat Tulum, only about 30-40 minutes to the South. And if you have a car and want to explore a bit, there are some nice restaurants situated around a dolphin lagoon at Puerto Aventuras, we went there for dinner from Akumal a couple of times.

Ivins, UT
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal area activities

Hi! Can someone tell me how far Puerto Adventures is from Akumal???? Thanks!!!

Ft Lauderdale
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal area activities

Puerto Aventuras is only about a 10 minute drive north of Akumal, on that same road (I think it's Route 307). I think it is less than 10 miles.