We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central Montana
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

Reading the reviews for Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, there seemed to be many cases of food poisoning. Is this common at this resort?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

We just returned Friday, only ate at GBP Akumal buffet once, mostly at Tulum and Coba. No food poisoning to report in our group (10 adults, 6 kids). Food tastiness is another matter though .....

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

Take these reports with a grain of salt.

Lots of digestive disturbance is not food poisoning, but excessive eating, excessive alcohol, excessive spicy foods, fruit, etc.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

I agree with Holly, although I haven't been to bhp yet (only 12 days to go) I have read many many reviews and I would estimate that only a tiny % have raised an issue with alleged food poisoning. There was about 5/6 in the spavce of a week or so.

I worked for many years in the restaurant industry and if I had a pound for everytime a customer claims they received food poisoning i would be a rich man, most time it takes longer than 5 minutes to materialise.

I work on simple numbers i.e. if 1000 people visit this hotel in a week and only say 6 say they got food poisoning then it is highly unlikely to be true.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

I think there was a virus going around, not just this hotel, but others as well, in late winter and spring. Some people reported feeling ill even before they left home, others while in Mexico, and some after they returned home. Some viruses can be passes by the workers at a hotel if they don't stay home when they're ill, but I believe it's hard for them to not report to work when they're making so little money. I'm sure once management identified the problem it was corrected, they certainly don't WANT to make their guests ill! We've been there five times now, and never a single bit of illness. Can't wait to go back!

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

In the three times we have been there, we have never been sick. It was never the food for us, but perhapds, maybe overindulgence on their part, it's all inclusive, and eat and drink and eat and drink...Do not have those mixed drinks (with any type of cream) for the first few days and you will be fine. We have travelled all over the Caribbean for 25 years and we have learned, we have never had food poisoning. It makes me very angry that they have said they have had food poisoning anywhere, never have we have had that...just bring down some immodium, pepto bismal (sp?), tums, because you are not used the various drinks and food. It is those that overindulge that happens, believe me, seen it many, many times.

Go have an awesome time at our beloved Bahia.

Food poisoning, equals - overindulgence...don't really care what they say, it's not the case, food is not like North America or Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

As Sandy said, there was a virus going around, hubby had it for weeks and then I am still coughing, so it certainly wasn't from the food!!!

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

The reviews that referenced salmonella poisoning are the ones that kinda worry me a little.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

Did the salmonella reviews actually go to a doctor and have lab tests done that confirmed salmonella?

Colorado
Level Contributor
321 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

I don't know about GBP, but I got fairly terrible stomach cramps, etc. after my day at Xel-ha and it definitely wasen't from over doing it! It was something I ate or drank. I think it may have been from water I got from the bar there - I assumed they filter it, but it's the only think I can figure out because during our entire trip my husband and I shared dishes at restaurants and pretty much drank identically (except for my glass of water with ice from the bar at Xel-Ha). Can't say for sure that it was that, but I'm recommending to everyone to take bottle water when they go there. We were not staying at an AL during our stay.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
602 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food poisoning at GBP Tulum?

You know, some people have more sensitive stomachs than others. While I was at the Bahia in Punta Cana I had some very severe stomach cramps (never had them before on any other trip). But, (we went in February) I'd say for about a month or two before my stomach had been very, very sensitive (again, unusual for me). It has taken almost 6 months to almost be 100%. Definetly not caused by food poisening. It was probably a virus I had. Accidophilus (spelling!!) helped, and my cramps barely stopped me from having fun. So it could be a number of reasons.