We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Gran Bahia??????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
River Edge, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Which Gran Bahia??????

We will be there for 5 nights 6/28-7/3...interested in staying in either.

Is the food good? Are the Buffet's A/C?

Please tell me why we should stay here and not somewhere smaller.

Thank You,

Regina

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Gran Bahia??????

Look at the thread entitled "For DDF and other Bahia nuts" for lots of useful information on this topic:)

I haven't stayed here yet either but am considering it for our December trip, mostly for the beach, snorkeling opportunities and lots of activities going on to keep my teen entertained!

Starz

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Gran Bahia??????

Hi Regina-the food is excellent at the Bahia. The buffets aren't air conditioned (although the Coba buffets may be, I'm not sure on that, maybe someone else can help on that one), and you're going to be there during the hottest part of the year, so make sure you bring along a lot of lightweight clothing. The buffet at the Akumal is right up off the beach, there's always a good breeze there. The Tulum buffet is set back a bit more, but I don't remember ever being over-warm there, and we were there during the last part of June.

We like a larger resort, because we usually only go on one excursion while we're there. We like to feel as if we have room to walk around, explore, visit the different lounges in the evening and the different buffet restaurants and such, and we never get bored and have to leave. There's a lot to do right there! But some people think it's too big, so if you're leaning that way, I would say check out smaller places, too.

Austin
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Gran Bahia??????

The beach in front of the Tulum section is better than the Akumal section.

Akumal beach is rocky from what I saw. Not a big deal, they are about 100 meters apart so it's not too far to walk up the beach a bit. Lobby of Akumal is impressive and the pools and palapas are very inviting. I found that the pics of the resort of the web don't do justice to how it looks in person.

Have a great time.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Gran Bahia??????

The shoreline in front of the Akumal section is about 1/2 and 1/2. The part of it that's in front of the quiet pool and the lobby is great, that's the part that is often referred to as being "between the two piers". It's excellent for small children, there is almost no wave action, and it's extremely shallow for a long ways out. The other 1/2 is very rocky, it's great for tide pool exploration if you wear water shoes. They are also creating a small beach area in the middle of this rocky part, there's a little natural place where there's little wave action, and they're bringing in sand to make it better there. But the shoreline of the Bahia stretches on for a long, long ways. (Look at the candid pictures that accompany some of the reviews, you can see how long the beach is in the photos). So there's no shortage of beach.

5. Re: Which Gran Bahia??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 02, 2009