We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

Hello. We are a family of four (kids age 10 and 13) planning a trip to the Riviera Maya in March of 2008. We would like to stay at a smaller all-inclusive for part of the trip. I've looked into a lot of hotels and it seems like the best bang for my buck will be at either the ABR or at the Catalonia Yucatan in P.A. Any reccommendations for one or the other? Also - we are vegetarians so we are wondering about the food choices. Any replies are appreciated.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

I have not been to Catalonia Yucatan. However, I have been to ABR.

It is a very nice 3 star AI. There was a thread a while back about vegetarian food at ABR. The entertainment staff will take care of your 10 & 13 year old. Trust me when I saw your kids will be talking of the entertainment staff for some time to come. Plenty in the neighborhood to keep you happy while on vacation.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

I saw Catalonia Royal Tulum has a vegy restuarant. Never been there

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

Stayed at the Cat Yucatan in Nov. It's a great place. My boys are 11 and 14 and loved the place. It has a games room that costs a couple of pesos to play the arcade games. I think the pool table is free. An adult will have to be there with them.

The shows were a bit chessey but very well performed and fun to watch.

We also loved the Crape place. It's open 5 -11 every evening except tuesdays, I think. We would go there for dessert before dinner. Heck you're on vacation, why not? I don't know about vegetarian meals, breakfast had tons of fruit and they would make omlets and eggs anyway you want. The snack bar had great guacamole and the italian ala carte had wonderful pasta.

The snorkeling was okay but not as good as at Akumal. It was fine for us with a day trip to Akumal to swim with the turtles and another day trip to Xel Ha for more snorkeling.

Lansing, KS
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

I stayed at Catalonia Yucatan at Puerto Aventuras in 2004. The resort is very nice, lots of activities to choose from and short walk to Puerto Aventuras Marina. The beach is fairly rocky for the most part, except for the lagoon area to the north. The rooms are mostly non-oceanview and not very close to the beach. We had a great time, but chose to try Akumal Beach Resort the next year.

We now go to ABR every year (Jan 2008 will be our 4th year.) The pluses, compared to Catalonia:

Best beach ever! - snorkel tours from all over get dropped off in Akumal Bay by the hotel, so you are already in best spot. We saw sea turtles, stingrays, etc. White, soft sand, clear, blue water.

Small resort, with all the big resort amenities, but more personal service.

Our room is just steps from the sand and almost every room has an ocean view.

The small village of Akumal is a 5 minute walk down the beach. The have great shops, restuarants, internet cafe, dive shop, etc. And the Lol Ha bar is famous for great times.

The drawbacks? It may not be as lively as Catalonia, but they do have an 'animation' team that plays games and activities all day...its just not as loud and 'grown-up' as the Catalonia games. Lots of drinking games by the pool, etc. SO, I actually think that is a plus if you are taking kids.

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

Hi Vegfam;

We are also a family of four kids with two boys who will be 10 and 13 in March 2008. We prefer the smaller all inclusives and have just booked the ABR through Apple so maybe we will see you there!

eastyorker

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

If you do a side to side review of both you will see that the ABR only has 2 a la carte restaurants,1 buffet and you have to pay at the other a la carte that serves lobster,the only advantage is the ocean view rooms and maybe a nicer beach,but if you will be on the beach most of the time during the day,i don't think the view is that important,just want peace and quiet when sleeping,the price for both is almost the same,i think you get a bigger bang for your bucks at The Cat.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

... have not been to the Catalonia so cannot offer comments, however we were to ABR in January 2005 and LOVED it !!!! We are big snorkel people and this resort has awsome snorkelling. It is a much smaller, more personal resort place - not as much walking but quaintly mexican. We are excited to be going back in January for our daughter's wedding - can hardly wait.

Devon UK
Level Contributor
332 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

ABR all the way....and I haven't even been to the Cat.

9. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Yucatan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Akumal