We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

You said:

....Buildings 6 and 7 are also new with beautiful rooms. They are however at one end of the resort ( #6 is closer) About a 2 or 3 minute walk to the main buffet. If you choose one of these buildings you may want to request a ground floor room so as not to have to worry about stairs. These buildings are 3 stories high. ...

If I book a superior room, aren't those in 6 and 7 (the stairs dont bother me).

MY dilemma. Sept - 6-7 nights. Go with a KNOWN QUANTITY like IBerostar Lindo where I can get my a la carte reservations by email in advance of my visit, where they know me, or TRY ABR - I know the differences (no fridge in room, smaller pool, less a la carte restos, not so great reservation system for the a la cartes, and a few other things.

The idea of WALKING INTO Akumal is very appealing. The idea of someplace different is appealing. I like the pictures I've seen.

It is also about $500 less than Lindo for the time I want. My travel agent is concerned that I will lock myself into a place for 7 days...and if I dont like it, I am stuck.....I know it IS different. And there MAY be things I dont like (there's always SOMETHING at SOME hotel).

Except for a few minor negative comments on ABR, most comments are generally positive about ABR - even more some than some other hotels.

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION? I really have to decide within the next couple of weeks or I could lose the Lindo or even ABR?

Thanks for the help

karenjme(at)yahoo.com

Karen in NYC

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Hi Karen

I am going to the Akumal Beach Resort on Friday (22nd) for one week. We usually do not do less than 4 star but because we are taking our two grown up kids with us then we have had to go cheaper. I have read wonderful reports about the ABR and am really looking forward to the trip. We are not planning on venturing off the complex apart from maybe a walk into Akumal. If you can wait until I get back I can answer all of your questions. I could not find a better deal than the ABR from here, we only want beach, sand, sea, pool, snorkelling and to have reasonable food and drinks. I do believe you get what you pay for but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Anyone else going to be at the ABR from 22nd April?

Clare, UK

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Englishlady.............I am trying to hold off decision as long as possible, but I may not be able to wait more than two weeks, otherwise I might lose one of my choices. Will hold off as long as possible..........but would still like your review when you get back.

k

Ont. Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Hello Karenjme - I would definently recommend the ABR. Buildings 5, 6 & 7 have the superior rooms. #5 however has the pool area in front of it, and is in the middle of the resort. I would request #6 or #7 top floor if you want a breathtaking view.

We loved the ABR because of the relaxed, simple quiet atmosphere. Food and drink were fine in our opinion. You know what makes you happy and if that would cover it then you too would love the ABR. Our very best friends cruise every year. They love the fine dining, ice sculptures, gold fixtures etc. I know that I would not try to convince them to go to the ABR because they would not be happy. So it really depends on what you want. ABR is very clean but it doesn't have any gold fixtures....

We spoke to some people who had stayed at a couple of 5 star places in Playa Del Carmen and they prefered the ABR. It is a personal choice. We can't wait to go back!

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

We've been to a lot of the AIs in the area - from 5 star to 3 stars, and what we've realized is that the stars are totally irrelevant to how we judge a place. We hate super resorty places regardless of how nice they are.

Anyway, we like the ABR the best, but realize that a lot of people wouldn't. If you are a major "swim-up bar pool person", or are expecting luxurious accomodations or a large resort-like atmosphere, I would urge you NOT to go to the ABR.

If you like everything low-key, casual and basic on a gorgeous beach, you will like the ABR very much. Look at it this way: $500 could buy you several special dinners off-site if you want to try other places in Akumal, etc.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

I am getting convinced................I can get along anyplace. A swimup bar is nice, but not necessary. Just requires a little more planning.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Karen, we had an absolutely fantastic time at the Akumal Beach Resort. We were in Block 7 which is the furthest block but we don't mind a short walk back to the room. If you wanted to be in the middle of all the action Block 5 overlooks the pool and is near all the bars and restaurants.

We ate at the Mexican and the Italian and both meals were very good with no problems booking either, you just queue up at 10 am and get your reservation. We also thought the main buffet was excellent and there was always something on offer that we liked. My husband and son particularly liked the fact that the Corona beer was on tap and you could just help yourself, they also have soft drinks machines in the main restaurant. The guacamole is the best ever and we ate so much it's a wonder we didn't turn green! The snack bar has pizza, hamburgers, salad and ice-cream at lunch time which is great if you want to stay sitting around the pool.

The pool is excellent, the jacuzzi is not like a hot tub and is suitable for small children as it is very gentle.

The staff were all wonderful and cheerful, the animation staff in particular worked non stop and seemed to work for about 14 hours a day!

Our rooms were spotlessly clean, with modern furnishings, good showers and good beds. But to be honest we were hardly ever in them only long enough to sleep.

The beach setting is beautiful and the snorkelling is very good, it was quite breezy when we were there and one day was very windy but apparently this is unusual for this time of year.

We walked into Akumal once, but there isn't much there, it is a nice walk along the beach and we liked to see what fish had been caught by the boats that take people out deep sea fishing.

The cocktails were not strong and I think the local brands are pretty weak but they were adequate and there are a lot to choose from.

I have to say that if you want value for money I don't think you could beat a stay at the ABR, I really don't know how they do it all for the price we paid.

mrsmith@netins.net
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

We went to ABR in March and are now planning a return trip. Our previous trips have been to Iberostar in Cozumel. I can't say enough about the location of this resort. You can snorkel right off the beach (bring your own gear or you will have to pay for it) If it is windy, Yal-Ku Lagoon is a short walk away (that is what my husband told me; it is actually thirty minutes). Stop for refreshments half way at La Buena Vida and have a drink with the skeletons or climb to the top of their palapa roofed lookout. We loved this place. The villiage of Akumal and the Dive Shop are a five minute walk from the resort. We visited their library and took along prizes for the after school program (matchbox cars, markers, puppets, etc.) They were so greatful. A friend caught a huge king mackerel with the Dive Shop, and they had a local restaurant grill it for us. Yum! Gifts can be bought at their local outdoor market. We planned three day trips; Playa del Carmen, Tulum Ruins, and X'caret . We won't do any again.........too many people; although I would recommend to see the ruins once....very historical and interesting. I think all of our day trips will be within walking distance the next time, but I don't like sitting on busses or riding in cabs.

Pamela Anderson(Alma) and the animation team are the best we have seen. I don't know about the shows, we were exhausted before they started, but the daily activities were great. The beach is beautiful and the ocean view from the rooms can't be beat, (although we only enjoyed it in the morning, otherwise we were never in our room). We always found something to eat at the buffet and everything tastes good if you sit by the window enjoying the ocean view. Meeting people from different countries was fun. I think Americans were the minority the week we were there.

I can't wait to return. As others have said, it isn't fancy. It is clean, friendly, fun and relaxing. If you need fancy marbel lobbies, luscious grounds and ice sculptors this may not be the place for you. I just hope this area doesn't become a tourist trap like Playa. Maybe I shouldn't be writing this and telling others how much I enjoyed this area of Mexico!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To ThreeKids (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Thanks to everyone. YOu confirmed that I made the right decision to go to ABR in September. Sounds like it might be the first of many trips.