We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at GBP any good?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
london
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at GBP any good?

Dear all, confused Englishman here! i am on the verge of booking a couple of weeks hols in GBP in mid Sept. two things, with a sun worshiping girlfriend, am i setting myself up for nights on the couch by travelling then? and 2, is the beach actually anygood there? we love beaches, and would prefer nice sand, but with some features to snorkle amongst. what do you all think please? Ollyday.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

we like it. is it a paradise beach with miles and miles of powder? no - but remember it was damaged in the hurricane. tulum side is rocky, but walkable. akumal side is not rocky, has snorkeling, and is very crowded. both are very accessible, no matter which side you stay at. if you stand with your back to the resort, facing the water, you can walk to the left - toward a pier - and the beach is lovely, and there's snorkeling there.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

Actually Kniggets, the beach was like that long before the hurricanes hit, at least on the Tulum side. The beach has always had the live coral at the water's edge, but the sand, it used to be alot nicer and, that, of course, was because of the hurricanes. They had to truck alot of the sand back in after that.

The beach is lovely, but as Kniggets said, crowded. It was our third time back and we saw alot of changes, but we still adore it, no matter what. Awesome resort!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

We were there shortly after Hurricane Wilma (11/05, one of the first flights back in) and they were pumping sand up out of the ocean floor and back onto the beach. The chunks of dead coral rock are more plentiful now than they were then because of that. A lot of the coral out in the reef was smothered by the sand that was churned up during the hurricane, but it's starting to come back. We noticed some colorful coral this last time that wasn't as noticable before. Hopefully it will continue to improve, if they can keep people off of it. You can tell when you're snorkeling what it used to look like.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

Ollyday - it sounds as if you like a beach to be the same way i do. It is a nice sandy beach. Nice and clean too. The sea is good for snorkeling and there are plenty of places within 10 minutes cab ride where you can snorkel too. 10 minutes up the road is Akumal Bay where you can snorkel with turtles for the equivalent of a £2 cab ride per person return. We are going back to the GBP for our 2nd time next month and would recommend it!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

If you want a good beach / and with good snorkeling, I would go to Barcelo Maya

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

Barcelo's beach is very nice, as is the rest of the resort for that matter.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

Sorry all, we are "Bahia Nuts" so we tend to hit the resort time and time again, but I have heard great things about the beach at the Barcelo and the Palladium...now having said that, your either get the beach or the resort, sometimes people choose the resort, which we do, if you choose the Bahia, just bring water shoes and you will be fine. We wear water shoes, doesn't matter where we go, Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, you never know what you are going to hit in the ocean...weather it be glass, oil from the rigs or sea creatures to hurt your feet, always be safe. I know what you are saying about a clear sandy bottom because it is the best, but everything lurks beneath the sea.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

One more thing, I have heard the food at the Barcelo isn't that great, never been there, but hey, look at the reviews, every resort has great, good and bad. The choice is yours...you all make your holiday what it is.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

We don't wear water shoes at the Bahia unless we're taking a walk down on the rocky part of the shore to the south of the Akumal side. The water is so clear we can see the rocks when we're swimming, and of course when we're snorkeling by the reef we don't put our feet down, anyway..

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at GBP any good?

I never did understand all the Bashing of the Bahia's beach. We were there last year and the beach is ENORMOUS. Tons of palapas and a very deep and long beach. The sand was fine there, and as other posters noted: the food & service at this resort were GREAT.

We'll be back there soon.......