We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gbp?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
gbp?

Hi

Reading a lot about illness just now at the GBP....anyone got an update please?

Kat

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gbp?

? i was there a few weeks ago, and we were all perfectly healthy.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gbp?

If you are talking about one of the reviews then i would take it with a pinch of salt. ALL the family? ALL the friends? Aswell as many others? Slight exaggeration there methinks.

Dont worry about it. Thats one person who has said they weren't well compared to the hundreds and hundreds of guests who go every week who obviously dont need to come on here to report that they werent ill.

Niagara Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gbp?

Hi Katco

We just returned on the 21st from the GBP Akumal.

I did get sick. My husband and daughter did not.

I had ceasar salad at the Arlequin restaurant (ala carte) on the Tuesday and it was served fresh.

I then proceeded to try the ceasar salad again the next night in the Tulum section at the Gran Tortuga resaturant (also ala carte). It was served buffet style.

I should have know better than that!! Who knows how long it had been sitting out. It was probably in about 10 minutes that I started to feel ill.

I didn't see the light of day again until Friday morning.

It doesn't mean that every buffet style ceasar salad is bad. Just be aware and be careful!

We still had a good vacation. I will right my review soon.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gbp?

Thanks for the replies. I read the reviews and started to get worried as there has been many positive ones. We go in just over two weeks time and did panic

Thanks

Kat

Hamilton,Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: gbp?

My husband and I returned on the 16th .We ate at the Arlequin twice during our stay , we both had the ceasar salad each time we were there . Never had a problem.

Niagara Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gbp?

Just to clarify......

I did not get sick after eating at the Arlequin, I got sick after the Gran Tortuga meal....

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gbp?

Hey TracyTravel, I'm no doctor, but doesn't foodborne illness take about 24 hours for symptoms to show up? That's what I've been told, but I could have misunderstood.

Fact is, most times it's very hard to pinpoint what food really made you sick unless they test the food source, which is usually done after a complaint is voiced.

I've been sick in Mexico before, but I wasn't very smart about what foods to avoid. Young kids are probably more susceptible to illnesses like this. They could have also been dehydrated. Who knows, really?

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gbp?

kat, i'm a paranoid traveller, too..... mosquitoes MUST mean malaria..... water MUST mean the runs..... bad food MUST mean illness......

don't let anything ruin the anticipation, or worse, your holiday..... chances are, you've worked hard to earn it - so go and enjoy!

(all i ate were salads and fruits - at the tortuga and other places - and i lived to tell the tale.......)

:)

Niagara Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gbp?

I still had a great vacation, don't get me wrong!

We only ate at the two ala cartes ( Arlequin & Tortuga) The only think I ate different (than my husband and daughter) at the second ala carte was the ceasar salad. ( Which had a lot of dressing on it)

I have been to Mexico twice before without incident. I will not let it deter me from returning to Mexico & possibly the GBP.

I would have to say I actually have more of a concern regarding the service that we paid for & the service we received. Nothing major but it will be in my review that I will write this weekend.

The grounds & rooms were beautiful and clean....absolutely no complaints there!!!

I didn't let it ruin my last day.....hey sometimes you get sick...stuff happens........it could have happened at home as far as I am concerned.

Happy travels everyone! :)

10. Re: gbp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 30, 2009