We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

i like fish, but yuk eel's stingrays and barracuda's ididnt realize that these are some of the things i might encounter, oh well the pool is sounding better and better!!!!

we will be at grand sierins mayan beach may 11 for two weeks cant wait.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

seeing the stingray and the barracuda were the highlights of the week :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

Shame on you if you don't get in there and explore. Something tells me they won't be able to pull you out.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

Seeing the fish and rays so close to the beach shows that we havent completely ruined the planet quite yet. It was definitely a highlight of my holiday too to enjoy seeing such gorgeous things.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

shermie,they are safer than bears,cougars and wolves,you don't know how lucky you are to see them in shallow water,a lot of people have to scuba dive to see them.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

We are here right now, and my hubbie saw a moray eel (6ft) while snorkeling! Needlenose fish and other pretty ones are in shallow water .- haven´t heard of any casualties, and it is an amazing experience! The beach directly in front of 1900 building is amazing - not as rocky and quieter! So sad to be going home in a couple of hours!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

Don't worry about sea critters. Just take off all jewelry and sparkly things before going into the water. Keep an eye out for stingrays when you are coming back from snorkeling. Sometimes they will rest near the edge by the beach, and if you put your foot down without looking, you might step on one.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

not to mention the sea urchins......

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

Thats where they belong,we humans are the ones that's invading their privacy,lets not complain.They already supply us with food.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

I saw a sea urchin at the GBP Akumal in the ocean. It was tucked away in a corner of a "reef" type area just on the other side of the ropes/buoys. Didn't expect to see that, but hey, that's nature. Plus, it's one more reason not to go past the buoys (I've read many complaints in the reviews about how "mean" the resort is for roping off the forbidden areas of the beach...maybe they're doing us a big favor).

I was not excited about snorkeling, so I waited until my last day to head down to the Akumal side of the GBP resort to do it. After swimming around and through a wall of fish (who were not the slightest bit spooked by me, and seemed to want to surround me), I was kinda hooked, despite my clumsiness with the mask & snorkel. Then, I went out deeper, and after seeing nothing for about 20 feet, the ocean floor got rockier, and I started seeing some really cool fish. One was royal blue and bright yellow, another looked like a giant rock until it started swimming. There was so much cool stuff, and the deeper I went out, the clearer the water was (fewer people disturbing the water I guess). Next time I'm going to Xel Ha or Yal Ku!

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yikes eel's and stuff 6 ft from shoreline grand sirinis mb .

the world below is truly a magnificent place..... next time head to akumal bay and see the turtles - spectacular in their own home....