We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from BPA...review posted.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
detroit, mi
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from BPA...review posted.

I just returned from the Bahia Principe Akumal. If anyone has any questions, i'd be glad to try to answer them. My reivew has been posted..it's the one that is from detroit, MI and says Great Place.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
357 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

I am looking at the Akumal Beach Resort for August. Did you see the place or hear anything good or bad? How is the local town for culture. Thanks for any info.

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

actually - question about renting a car while at Bahia Akumal...

i was suprised to find an Alamo rent-a-car in downtown Playa del Carmen - BUT - everyone keeps saying don't rent a car b/c road conditions are 'pretty' bad?

any insight to that?

thanks,

R

detroit, mi
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

esmerelda....I know I personally wouldn't rent a car because people down there drive like mad people. Road land markers don't mean anything down there. I would be very scared if I was driving down there.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

Esmrelda....I have read that EasyWay car rental has REALLY good rates!!! apparently they will pick you up right at the airport and take you to where you get your car. They are only a small little company and not to technically involved, but apparently very friendly and great to work with.

Alpharetta, GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

Did you feel like you were removed from the action, by not staying really close to the town of PDC? We have teens and want them to not be bored...are there other teens there?

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

well, i'd recommend Alamo - but there are two, Alamo.com and Alamo-Mexico.com. the first gave me a rate i CANNOT refuse! $30.00CAD per day for a compact car.

i've checked Avis, Hertz, and even the Alamo-Mexico and each is at least double the Alamo price. it really doesn't surprise me, i use Alamo EVERYTIME i travel, b/c they do, hands down, have the best prices. i just wasn't expecting to find one in Playa Del Carmen ... ;0)

R

detroit, mi
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

Dragonfilies....I think it was fine being away from pdc. THere were a lot of teens at the resort when we were there and they seemed to ahve a good time in the pool and on the beach. I guess it depends on what they like to do.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

Esmrelda-- We are renting at the Cancun airport from Avis. The rate for an air conditioned subcompact (Ford Fiesta type) for 8 days is $170US, including taxes -- I thought that sounded pretty good given that we'd spend approximately that much to get back and forth from the airport to BPA, which is where we are staying....

Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

Blueeyez, I saw your review and I've found it useful as I'll be going to this resort too. However, I feel I must comment how unfair I think your comments on Europeans were - I'm European. I think generalising is very dangerous, apart from unfair. You may be surprised to hear that in other forums it's Americans who are sometimes considered to be rude (not just drunk springbreakers), which again I think is an unfair generalisation. I don't think either Americans or Europeans are better-mannered than each other, it depends on every individual, and I'm sure at the resort there were both good- and bad-mannered Europeans and Americans, as everywhere else. For instance, you complain about other people's rudeness but you say you reserved chairs early every morning. This I find definitely rude and annoying, people reserving chairs for hours without using them; according to several reviews of the same resort, you can see a lot of chairs that are reserved but that are actually unoccupied for hours, maybe this was not exactly your case but still you were taking these seats well before actually occupying them I guess. The fact that many people do it doesn't make it any better. As a matter of fact, I would say that both Europeans and Americans share this "habit", and also that at the same time both complain about it too, as the people who complained from this in their reviews were Americans (thank God for that, I was starting to think I was the only one to see the wrong in this…). So again politeness does not just depend on where you come from really. Also about reserving chairs, I won't justify the people that took other people's stuff away from their chairs as you describe, but I can understand how irritated they must have felt realising that chairs that were "taken" were not actually "being used" for a long time. Just my opinion anyway.

Just one last thought... when we criticise others we should look towards ourselves first, I try to be considerate towards other people but probably I'll do things inadvertently that some people may find offensive, as different people have different points of view.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from BPA...review posted.

OK--this early-morning reserving of chairs is starting to sound really obnoxious. But if you don't do it, sounds like you either burn in the sun or have to leave the beach. Saying that two wrongs don't make a right doesn't solve the problem.