We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

Hi all,

My family (2 adults and 3 kids) will be arriving at the Grand Sirenis on March 3 and we may be interested in a trip to Xcaret. First of all is Xcaret between the Grand Sirenis and Cancun? How far away is it? As far as options go for travelling can anyone who has done this trip before let me know about costs, pick up times and travel time for the collectivo, taxi and I believe that the Xcaret park has their own version of the "Partridge Family" bus with scheduled pickups at most hotels. Keep in mind that I have the three kids (ages 9, 7 and 3) when it comes to wait times or travelling time. Thanks.

NB
Level Contributor
219 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

Xcarat is about a half an hour away. Just before Playa del Carmen. Taxi costs $20 USD which was negotiated down from $23. Collectivos are safe and they run until 10pm but I didn't see them in the parking lot after the show. We opted to share cab back to the hotel as collectivos take longer as they stop often and do not bring you to the hotel entrance they only stop on the side of the road and believe me you do not want to cross that highway in the day with 3 kids let alone at night. Not to mention it is a long walk to the lobby from the road especially after a full day of sun. Xcarat prices are online on their web site. You can do a half day or full day. There is a lot of walking at XCarat and the underground river goes for miles and if you decide to get out early like I did you will have no idea where you are and have to meander through the park to find your family. I wasn't sure if the river was real or not as it seemed too much like man made. If you have been to Disney don't bother going to Xcarat as it is far below Disney's standards and the signage is very poor. We walked for a long time to go on the river ride thinking the whole time we were off the beaten path. When we finally arrived the trip down the river was ho hum. the poor boy pushing our boat was sweating from the strain and unfortunately we were sitting right below him and felt his perspiration drop on us. I truly felt sorry for him. The aquarium is nice but again I must reiterate that if you have been to Disney/Sea World etc. don't bother wasting a hot day here. The butterfly pavilion was something I was interested in and it was nice but not as many butterflies as I had hoped...maybe it was the heat that had them in hiding. The show at night was ok. They actors posed outside for pics and we had ours taken with one fellow. Our Friend asked him to smile but of course he was in character and wouldn't but as soon as the pics was snapped he lit up a bright smile...showing us his keen sense of humour. Gotta love the people of the Mayan Riviera.. they are truly beautiful. The show was the history of the Mayan people but it wasn't translated. I would have enjoyed it much more if they had of explained it out a bit. My husband enjoyed the fire ball game...just like hockey but played in the dark with ball of fire. The whole show was 2 hours 15 min in length getting over around 8:30. We left the show early as we wanted to ensure transportation home. The taxi driver was nuts and took stop signs as a suggestion rather than a necessity. Truth be told I enjoyed the Grand Sirenis Mexican night show in the theatre. they basically did the same thing on a smaller stage and flashed which area of Mexico they were representing on their big screens. That’s just my opinion on the park, others may agree or disagree. Hope it helps you.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
371 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

We stayed at the GSMB in January. We took a collectivo to Xcaret. We did ask a taxi driver how much, and he finally said $20. We old him it was too much and we were going to take a collectivoe. He tried to conviince us that you had to walk 4 km from the highway (where the collectivo drops you off) to the main entrance to Xcaret Park. Whereas he was not wrong, he didn't tell us that Xcaret has a free shuttle, every fifteen minutes that will take you from the highway to the park. We only waited about 5 before it came.

On the way home, it was night, so we did take a cab. It was $23.

Have fun.

kelowna bc
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

Cheapest way to do it is to take a collectivo (2$ /person) and just pay at the gate to get in . you will save a decent chunk per person vs taking a tour..

-Deven

www.grand-sirenis.com

4. Re: Grand Sirenis to Xcaret Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 25, 2009