We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
953 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

We just about to book ABR - because our true love for our holiday is to snorkel everyday to our heart's content ...

Then - we saw the Grand Sirenus ... it looks fantastic!

Does anyone know where it is located in relation to Akumal - is it just north of Akumal or south of there? Also, it will be hundreds more pp for one week - can anyone provide input as to whether it's worth the extra $4-500 for the 2 of us.

Is the snorkeling better at ABR or Grand Sirenus?

Thanks in advance!!

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

I can help with some of your questions.

We will be straying at the GS the 1st week in April, and I,m certain the GS is north of ABR. If you go north from ABR Approx 2 miles you will be at Yal-Ku Lagoon, (another great spot to snorkel). Approx 1 more mile past Yal-Ku Lagoon you will be at the GS.

Another great place to snorkel is Xel- Ha. Xel-Ha is located Approx

6 miles South of ABR. We have been there. Awesome Place!! If you love to snorkel, you've got to try the snuba at Xel-ha. I am a scuba diver and have never experienced anything like what you will encounter during your Xel-ha Snuba. Well worth the money.

I can't help with the price question as we have not stayed at either place yet. I can tell you that the location of the ABR looks like a good one, and from what I hear, the snorkeling is great!!

We already know we will be staying at the ABR another time.

Hope this helps Mike

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
953 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

Thanks Mike ... Yes, this is about our 8th visit to the area - but we've never stayed south of Puerto Aventuras. However, we have been snorkeling at Yal-Ku and Xel-Ha approx. 3 times each place and you are correct - its amazing snorkeling. It looks like the GS resort has taken over that Xaac Bay just north of Yal-Ku ?

We are really hoping to find the resort that has the best snorkeling right on site at the property. For the past 2 years, we have stayed at Catalonia in PA - which has fantastic snorkeling right there - but wanted to try something new this time.

Thanks for your input ...

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

Hi again Jules Travel,

You are correct. GS took over Xaac Bay, and from what I hear, GS ownes property all the way to the north side of Yal-Ku Lagoon. Should be interesting to see what they do with it.

Thanks for the tip on good snorkeling at the Catalonia resort, as we too are big snorkelers. We will have to keep it in mind.

From what I hear, you can't go wrong by choosing ABR for great snorkeling from shore. (lots of turtles).

Have a great trip!! Mike

cold county
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

I just got back from the Grand Sirenis, and the snorkelling there is great, we spent many hours snorkelling around the bay. One day we took the local bus to Akumal, which is only a few miles, (if that) south of the Sirenis. The bus cost us only one us dollar each and we had a fabulous day there. The beach there is amazing, and we had the best snorkelling there than anywhere else. We swam with lots of sea turtles, huge Barracudas, and many of different fish. It is a big bay, but the snorkelling area is marked with many bouys, just follow them, and you will see everything there is to see. Then, we rented two pedal bikes and went 10 minutes down the road to yakul-lagoon. It is very easy to find, just follow the beachfront past halfmoon bay which is lined with nice homes and condos, it is a very upscale area. It is a natural lagoon, which blows Xel-ha away for snorkelling, and it only costs 7 dollars each to get in. It is just like swimming in an aquarium, the water is very clear, and it doesn't have the crowds of people that Xel-ha has. It is nice and quiet and has hundreds if different fish. We swam with a family of huge parrott fish, which was the best part for us, very cool. Next time we come to this area, we are staying in Akumal, no question. It is worth spending the extra money, only if you like a more laid back scene. The Sirenis was nice, but too big for us. Too many people around us and it took too long to get around the resort, this is a huge resort and the crowds of people got to us after a while. That is why we take a vacation, to get out of the city and away from crowds of people, so Akumal is perfect for us. Spend the extra money and rent a beachfront condo, very private and relaxing. The beachfront is off limits to the public in the residential areas. enjoy!

5. Re: Akumal Beach Resort v. Grand Sirenus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 24, 2009