We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oops I crapped my pants!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Oops I crapped my pants!

I'm worried about getting sick in Riviera Maya, especially the smaller places. Are bathrooms easy to find when you are out and about in Akumal, Tulum, etc.? Do most shops/stores have a public restroom? Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

I have no idea but I love the title of your post!

Too funny!

toronto
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

might be a good idea to invest in a box of 'Depends'....just in case.

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

Lots of remote palm trees...

Alberta
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

don't forget the immodium!!!!!!!!!

Near Springfield...
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

Can't find it now, but I think another post said something about having to pay pesos to use a bathroom at the Tulum Ruins. I'm definitely going to be carrying some extra TP and pesos with me wherever I go!

Fremont, Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

Dear Oops I crapped my pants....funniest damn forum title I've seen. Anyway, here's the scoop on the poop. We've been to Mexico many times and have never gotten sick, very regular maybe but never sick. Most restaurants offer their own facilities for free. However public area's in Tulum, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel and Cancun have pay public restrooms. Its usually like 5 pesos and you generally get two squares of toilet paper. Yes two! In addition you do not flush the toilet paper they have baskets for you to throw it away in. No, the restrooms are not dirty the person who collects your pesos also keeps the restrooms clean and they do a darn good job of it considering. They have very poor sewer systems because of all the stone. So......

We've eaten all over in the little towns and have never had a problem. If you can't find a public restroom just stop and order a beer somewhere and use theirs.

Hope you find this helpful and an ease of your bowel concerns! :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just carry my own TP.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

Just remember these phrases or write them down:

Donde está de baño público = Where are the public bathrooms

or

Donde esta de bano = where is the bathroom

We use these when we "go" away from the resort! Good luck.

If these are "crappy" translations - someone let me know since we have been using them on all our trips and I would not want to be the "butt" of jokes about my bad Spanish!

9. Re: Oops I crapped my pants!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 18, 2009