We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

Any suggestions on how to go about renting a panga in Punta Mita to snorkel out in the Marietas? Names of captains, companies, prices? Thanks in advance!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

I've got a similar question, so I'm topping this (which never got a response...but we'll try again...)

I am also curious about renting a panga out of Punta Mita for birdwatching around the Marietas. There are some organized trips but they are full day excursions, with snorkeling etc and we really don't want that...just want to get out to the islands for a couple of hours to shoot (with a camera!) the boobys etc.

Is it possible to hire a boat for two or three hours, and approximately what would it cost?

We'll be coming from Marina Vallarta and will have a car.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

Hi. The fishing cooperative does this kind of thing, but the question is how to book. in advance. I'd suggest you check with Scott of Scott's tours in Bucerias. (google Scott's tours Bucerias). I'm sure he has a phone number or two. You could also ask on the Nuevo Vallarta forum. The problem with the Punta Mita forum is, at the moment, there is only the one hotel (the Four Seasons) so, as you can see, it's pretty quiet.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

Hello

I was in Punta De Mita last year,we rented a panga with a guy named Rudy,he was not mexican but has lived there for quite awhile.He took us out on his panga for about four hours with no real time limit,he didn't even have a watch.I would recommend going with him but i don't have a contact number for him.He hung out at the southern end of little beach bars.He toured us around the marrietas,showed us birds,crabs and he had scuba gear also.We fed some fish out of hands it was good.The cost was $30.00 per couple,we had three couples.Bucerias has some info but watch out for jorge the time share and fishing bandit.There is a good restaurant there also,good fo lunch,they are in the square and are the only ones with parrots.Prawn salad is superb,lunch on the beach is also very good,the orange bar and the one right beside it are very good,if you want to walk ther beach there go to los picos for lunch,walk north up the beach you can't miss it,you will see palapas in front.sorry i can't remember names,cheers,have fun,

EL CHEAPO

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

You can find some great information on bird watching at the Marietas and several other nearby habitats if you google birding the americas. The author Blake Maybank has done extensive birding in this are and has some terrific maps and birdlists from recent trips.

5. Re: Rent a Panga for Snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 27, 2009