We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat rentals without guides?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Punta de Mita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat rentals without guides?

Is it possible for my husband and I to rent our own boat for the day as oppossed to going through a guided tour?

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat rentals without guides?

Yes,,,,in Punta de Mita... Maybe pnGreg with reply with more info.for you. You could type in the SEARCH: boats etc. and see what Previous Info comes Up .

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
868 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat rentals without guides?

As far as I understand it, legally you have to go out with a licenced boat and captain, but you can certainly customize your own private tour.

If you´re interested, post back for some referrals.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat rentals without guides?

Thank you pngreg. I suppose we will just guide it if we decide. Thank you!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat rentals without guides?

unless you have taken a certified boating safety course and are familiar with boats and navigating on the water i really don't recommend taking out motorized boats without guides even in the bay. we have seen too many boating incidents over the years in our travels because of inexperienced boaters not knowing how to react to situations and/or just bad boating habits. so much can happen very quickly on the water. you didn't mentioned whether or not you are experienced and this is just my two cents as someone who is US Coast Guard certified.

5. Re: Private boat rentals without guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Punta de Mita