We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about food and drink safety

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Question about food and drink safety

Hi,

We will be traveling from California to Punta Mita next month, and I have a question about food and drink safety for the experts here.

Assuming we eat only at the restaurants listed below, should we be worried about food or drink safety at all? Is it safe to eat and drink everything on the menu? I'm generally cautious when traveling when it comes to eating salads, drinking water, etc., so I was curious what to expect. Many thanks.

*Restaurants at St. Regis/Four Seasons

*Sufi

*Cafe des Artistes del Mar

*Margaritas

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Question about food and drink safety

You will have absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact, I bet if you go to your supermarket in California you will find a large amount of the fruit and vegetables are imported in from Mexico. As well, when you are here you will find our grapes usually come from California or Chile, our apples from Washington or Canada. So, what you are eating in your home is probably what you will be eating here.

These are top of the line restaurants and the old "Don't drink the water or eat the salads" has not applied to this part of Mexico for at least a decade.

We have over 2.5 Million visitors a year in this area and if there were issues with food contamination or water, you would surely have heard of it.

So, rest assured, you can eat, drink and be merry.

Higuera Blanca...
Level Contributor
879 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Question about food and drink safety

I agree entirely, having eaten at many of these restaurants repeatedly with absolutely no problems. In fact, all the restaurants on el Anclote beach are safe, including Tinos, Meson de Mita, El Anclote and others on the beach as ell.

Higuera Blanca...
Level Contributor
879 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Question about food and drink safety

Also Restaurante Mediterreano and Vitos.

Higuera Blanca...
Level Contributor
879 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Question about food and drink safety

You may also want to try Brisas de Mta on Playa Careyeros. It's a boutique hotel that will serve meals to outsiders- very good food!

5. Re: Question about food and drink safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 27, 2010