We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

Hi there,

I will be traveling to Reynosa, Mexico in December. I am from NZ and am a little innocent in regards to worldly matters.

How do people find it there? Is it safe? I will be with a Kiwi living there who speaks Spanish, but many people have said that it's not a place to visit and to avoid it.

Any help is appreciated

50 replies to this topic
Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

With the drug wars going on and gun battles in the streets, it's not a place I'd visit.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

It's not a tourist destination so in that sense "it's not a place to visit" but if you know someone living there then why not ask them? I doubt many contributors on here know what it's like living in Reynosa at this time.

Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

I live in Nuevo Laredo and travel to Reynosa about once a month for business. Like someone else asked --- why are you going there?

It's reasonably safe but in the last 12 months I have seen armed civilians being chased by a mlitary patrol on a major thoroughfare ( Blvd. Miguel Hidalgo) on a Sunday afternoon and a cartel comando stopping traffic at 3 in the afternoon at a busy intersection-- Blvd. de los Maestras y Mil Cumbres. Unless there is some compelling reason why you need to go, I would say pass on it just now.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

I read this earlier today - "It's not officially declared a war, but we are in a war zone," says Eliacib Leija, 40, who grew up in Reynosa. Now he's the coordinator for President Calderon's PAN party in the state of Tamaulipas. "Most of the people stay home after 6, 8 at night. Just don't go out; you take your precautions. Because once in a while you hear a bunch of shootings and things like that." It doesn't sound like you should go unless you have a very good reason.

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

Been born and raised there... avoid it, Reynosa offers very little to visitors.

Question , How did youi find out about my hometown ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

No, the drug cartels have control of the local police through bribes. There have been shoot outs in broad daylight with no regard for innocent bystanders. Give this one a pass.

Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

Most of the municipal police forces in Tamaulipas were disbanded 18 months ago and the military assumed police functions. Gradually law enforcement was turned over to specially recruited and trained state paramilitary forces who now function as police. I am pretty sure that is what happened in Reynosa. Cartels are causing a lot of problems, but police corruption is not one of them.

San Jose, California
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

Our company has an opportunity to buy a business in Reynosa. We need to go to check out the town, a group of 6 people. We plan to drive to the factory location and just check out the town.. Will 6 of oriental people attract attention? Is it really that un-safe? We plan to drive from McAllen to Reynosa on a Saturday morning and spend a few hours there.

This is an important visit - we will decide if we want to pursue this opportunity.. how should we make sure we are safe? There are many international companies there.. how do the workers survive?

Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

There isn't any real risk in travelling to Reynosa for a few hours on a Saturday to visit a business site. I would assume you are going to have someone from the local area take you where you need to go, but if not then I recommend that you hire a taxi for the day.

The cartels don't directly threaten the industrial and manufacturing plants located in Reynosa. Workers survive like hundreds of thousands of other residents do. People are attuned to the situations that cartel violence creates for the general public and basically just get out of the way or stay put when something develops. Word spreads fast.

Tampa, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico

Exploring a site on US/Mexico Border for Scrap Tire Pyrolysis Plant, considering Ciudad, Laredo and Reynosa. Any input will be much appreciated.

Reply to: Is it safe in Reynosa, Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reynosa