We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety concerns overstated

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
safety concerns overstated

We just returned from a lovely visit to the small town of Alamos, in Southern Sonora. In advance of our trip, friends were concerned about our travels, having heard the media hype about safety in Mexico. We never once felt unsafe, or even slightly uncomfortable, and I spent considerable time walking alone through the community, and hiking in the foothills with a fabulous bird guide. We did hear repeatedly how much the tourism industry is suffering there as a result of this media focus. I'm concerned that Trip Advisor is adding to this with it's "travel advisory" warning flags - that in fact take you to a link that doesn't even include the state of Sonora. It's a shame that people might allow these warning flags to deter them from visiting this wonderful place, and I would encourage the leadership of Trip Advisor to reevaluate these warning flags. Potential travelers: please don't let this stop you from visiting this wonderful little colonial town. It's beautiful, friendly, great wildlife/birding, great food, etc. etc. We were staying with family, but would highly recommend El Pedregal. Jackie Ogden

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety concerns overstated

The warning is very relevant to parts of Northern Mexico from Ciudad Juarez to the Gulf coast. Sonora has remained very safe as far as visitors are concerned. In the states of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas, which border New Mexico and Texas, it is a different story. If visitors from the US were killed, you would certainly hear of that in the news. News about robberies and shakedowns rarely makes it into the news as the Mexican media itself does not often report such things out of fear of reprisal. These things very rarely occur in Sonora, but it is reported to be more common in the other northern states of Mexico.

I personally believe traveling in Sonora is safe on main highways and during daylight hours.

Alamos
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety concerns overstated

bobbear

Can you tell me who owns Trip Advisor?

Thanks

David MacKay

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety concerns overstated

expedia

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety concerns overstated

you know I agree with some of what you are saying. Being a tour guide trips to the Copper Canyon have almost dissapeared. There have been violence in Creel and in Los Mochis where the Chepe train starts. While it may not affect american visitors you still have to cross the border and deal with checkpoints etc which would make many people uneasy.

5. Re: safety concerns overstated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 30, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Alamos