We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advisor is unresponsive to concerns of hotel owners

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Alamos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alamos
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advisor is unresponsive to concerns of hotel owners

Below you can read a post that I made a couple weeks ago. It is essentially identical to a message I have been sent to "Trip Advisor" a number of times. I am disappointed to report that I have not received a single response from them. Apparently it is not important to them. I encourage all hotel and B&B owners i Sonora to write to Trip Advisor and insist that they address this situation, it is having a seriously negative impact on tourism to the state of Sonora. By the way the Europe pages do not have a State Department Warning plastered on top of them and there is a serious terrorism threat listed as the top concern by the State Department right now!

The State department warnings at the top of some of the Trip Advisor pages for Mexico are not only hurting the business of the hotels and businesses that they are supposedly helping, but several of them are just inaccurate and wrong! Furthermore the practice of placing them seems to be very hit or miss and not based on any real policy.

If you click on the red warning banner at the top of the Sonora pages for instance, you are sent to an outdated warning by the US state department that mentions a couple of Mexican states. Unfortunately this warning does not include a number of Mexican states but Trip Advisor has decided to put that scary red banner on many customers reviews that are not included in the warning at all! Sonora where we own a hotel is not even mentioned in this out dated State Department Warning but potential clients see it, and we are losing business to this nearly every day because of it! We are considering taking the links to our nearly perfect reviews on Trip Advisor off of our website so that people don't go to the Trip Advisor website and see the misguided warning.

There are actually newer State Department warnings about some of these areas in Mexico, but Trip Advisor is still using the old links, probably due to laziness rather than anything else.

If indeed Trip Advisor is going to continue the "service" (dis-service) of posting State Department Advisories, it should be sure that they are at least current and fair, and they might want to be more serious about handing them out. Do you know that places like Kabul, Tehran, Ivory Coast and Bagdad do not have their State Department warnings posted at the top of Trip Advisor pages? Why is it that Trip Advisor has decided that Mexico is more dangerous than any of the above mentioned locations, and that only some states in Mexico should be given the RED warning!?

Trip Advisor has been very slow to respond to request to re-evaluate their policy on this, it seems to have little priority for them.

Sincerely

David MacKay

Alamos Sonora Mexico

1. Re: Trip advisor is unresponsive to concerns of hotel owners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, April 10, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Alamos
More Alamos Topics