We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Tonala?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in Tonala?

My friend and I will be in GDL for a few days and are curious about Tonala. I have read in the past it was well known for its pottery.

We are both artists and not into the party scene or gambling.

Is it worth the trip?

9 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in Tonala?

Tonala is in Chiapas and is nowhere near Guadalahara.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in Tonala?

Tonala, Jalisco is a "suburb" of Guadalajara, in the metropolitan zone of Guadalajara.

There are lots of shops, running the gamut fro artisan things to well, junk

Thursday and Sunday are tianguis days, a big street market.

Another area you might want to consider is Tlaquepaque.

Have a nice trip!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in Tonala?

I'll back Sioux up here. She lives in Guadalajara and is familiar with the territory.

Having been to Guadalajara a couple of times, years ago, I went back last month for four days and spent time in both Tlaquepaque and Tonalá. Both artisan communities. The Sunday Flea Market in the main area of Tonalá is a DO NOT MISS! The main part of Tlaquepaque is a DO NOT MISS. For artists.

As Sioux said ---- these areas are all part of metropolitan Guadalajara. In the olden days (when I was last there in 1992), Guadalajara was just Guadalajara. Tonalá and Tlaquepaque were towns outside. No more. The massive metro area of Guadalajara these days is made up of both of those towns and Zapopan. All are merged. They grew into each other.

The traffic is nasty and it might take awhile to get there but both Tonalá and Tlaquepaque are worth it. If you left Guadalajara without visiting them, you'd literally kick yourself. I can't wait to get back.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in Tonala?

Missed edit window. Noticed (after the fact) that this thread is 3 years old so I suppose the OP has been and gone. I'm wondering why it was still around, but nonetheless, maybe someone will do a search and find out that Tonalá is still alive and kicking, in the Guadalajara metro area, as well as well-worth visiting.

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in Tonala?

Haha, well Marly, another 2 years passed before another comment. But you are right, it is still good information, and someone (me) was looking for more information on Tonala. My husband and I are planning on flying into Guadalajara this summer to check out Ajijic as a possible retirement location. Not sure we'll make it to Tonala this trip, but I'll write it in ink for "sometime soon"!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in Tonala?

My wife was just there yesterday and reported that the large sewer/water project on Ave Tonaltecas is now complete. New sidewalks are wide and pristine (as in smooth & flat) and numerous new shops have moved into the store fronts. Great shopping to be had!

https://goo.gl/photos/9yz2Buj6pBCjMHXCA

guadalajara
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in Tonala?

You will enjoy tonala, plenty to see and buy. I would begin the day with the buffet breakfast at the riu hotel in gdl and then make your way to tonala

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in Tonala?

We are looking for a bilingual guide that can direct us to the best locations in Tonala or Tlaquipaqui to purchase specific items. Any references would be appreciated.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in Tonala?

Do you really want a guide who will be directing you to his/her favorites where they can get the largest kickback on what you purchase? Tlaquepaque is very easy to wander and shop on your own since the primary area is so compact. Tonala is a bigger challenge because there is more and it is scattered over a larger area but certainly doable. Would recommend not going on the two market days (Thursdays & Sundays) becuase moving through the crowds is quite difficult and the temporary booths & stalls have a great deal of lesser quality product. Monday also tends to be an off day because many of the vendors are closed to rest up.

Reply to: what to do in Tonala?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tonala
Recent Conversations