We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Patzcuaro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
117 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

Hi... Can somebody tell me what the security situation is like between Morelia and Patzcuaro? I know in recent months there have been many narcobloqueos on major roads entering/exiting Morelia and some situations in Patzcuaro and Quiroga.

Last week the Flecha Amarilla group temporarily suspended buses from Guanajuato City. I am wanting to get to Patzcuaro... my favorite place in Mexico!!!

Is there a best time to travel? Are busses still coming to Morelia from Guanajuato (where I will be coming from)? Is it safer to take a bus or a private driver? Can't wait to see this gem of a town! Any travel insight would be greatly appreciated!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

Read the red travel alert at the top of this page...it will give you some information.

Also keep up on borderlandbeat.com

Lots of information daily posted there from other newspapers, translated in English, beware of some of the photos...they are graphic, but sadly true.

Edited: 6:43 pm, July 18, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

We just took a Primera Plus bus from Patzcuzro to Morelia (about one hour) and then on to Guanajuato (about 4 hour) plus about a 2 hour layover in Morelia.

Primera Plus was great-lots of leg room w leg rest. Good movies (2 Academy Award nominees for best picture last year) in Spanish w ear phones so you can tune them out.

We took another bus from Zihua to Uruapan on another bus company and then got a driver for 300 pesos ($25usd).

No hint of any problems.

Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

Interesting that Patzcuaro is your favorite place in Mexico...You´ll certainly like Oaxaca or Chiapas as well, if you´ve not been there...

Best time to travel is during the day. Avoid the night for transfers. You may find federal police or army stands in the roads. They could be there in order to persuade bad things. As long as you are "clean" and have nothing to hide, you won´t have any problem. At least Primera Plus makes this route. A private driver is also a good idea as long as it´s not a black Suburban what he drives...

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

My wife and I just returned from a ten day driving tour of part of Michoacán, and drove extensively around Patzcuaro and Morelia, and used both the toll road and the secondary "libre" highway between the two cities. Of course we restricted driving to the daytime. We experienced nothing at all untoward to suggest any risk to safety or security. The US travel warning for all but Morelia and Lázaro Cárdenas? Who knows why it persists, I ask rhetorically, but from our experience, no problems, and I would drive those highways again, in a minute.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 2:08 pm, June 02, 2012
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

Recent problems have been more to do with student and teacher protests than narcos. 14 buses were stopped and drivers kidnapped and that situation led to the bus companies suspending services although they have now resumed. I drove on the toll road by Nueva Italia 2 days ago and teachers had taken over the toll booth and were not letting cars through without a "contribution". It hurt giving money to help maintain these people whilst they deprive my kids of schooling but what was the alternative? Mexico is way too tolerant!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

I am in Patzcuaro right now visiting a friend. It is beautiful and the weather is incredible. I had no trouble coming in by bus. I took the PrimerPlus bus from Querétaro to Morelia, and Morelia to Patzcuaro. There is a bit more security evident than in Querétaro. There was a luggage check at the bus station, and there are more police on the streets in Patzcuaro. My friend tells me that there is some mafia violence, but it doesn't really effect them. She said that it really applies to only part of Michoacan.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
117 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

This is great news! Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to another upcoming trip to Guanajuato and Michoacán. Looking forward to visiting Morelia and towns around Lake Pátzcuaro! A friend also just returned from Morelia and the city is as vibrant as always... no concern.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

All that "narco" stuff is over-blown by the media. It was mostly students and Universities. I left Lake Patzcuaro this morning after a wonderful month of fabulous weather, great craft festivals and wonderful food. Most of us are wondering what the media is talking about. None of us have seen, nor experienced any "narco" activity. Come on down; you will love it. Feliz viaje, David

The Michoacan Net

Supporting the Arts in Michoacan

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michoacan_net/

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

I agree. I asked everyone I could about the security situation and read the local paper. People were very honest. there is a small amount of gang violence but it was among rival gangs and tourists weren't affected. I read all of the State Dept. security reports before traveled there too.

We traveled all around the area near Patzcuaro and everything was perfect. I never once felt scared, unlike I do here at home (in US). I saw the most incredible scenery, met so many nice people, and was exposed to many new experiences. I agree with David that the local artisan scene is incredible. I only wish I had a larger suitcase. I found a great tour guide to visit the local artisans around Patzcuaro. If interested, let me know. One of the artisans the tour guide introduced me to is in an award winning documentary! Check out www.brilliantsoil.org. I bought a beautiful piece of pottery from Herlinda. I will cherish it forever. Im trying to figure out I can retire to this incredible area.

Patzcuaro
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: current situation with 'narcobloqueos'

Thanks to all of you who live in or visit and love the Patzcuaro Lake area. It is a paradise here. Remarkable, beautiful and peaceful.