We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
BC
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

This isn't a question, but I wanted to post and say how much I loved this small city, with its blue skies and fresh, clean air.

On our recent trip to Guanajuato, we took the bus to Dolores Hidalgo for the day. We visited a couple of museums, did some ceramics shopping, had a great lunch and then great ice cream. Tasted several flavours, but not the octopus.

It seems to be a very special place and is a great spot for a visit.

7 replies to this topic
Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

Hi pumpermum,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about Dolores! I´m glad you had a nice trip. There's not a lot to do in Dolores, which is one of its charms. It's a great place to relax. My husband and I spend a few days in

Dolores Hidalgo at least once a year to get away from the bustle of Guanajuato.

You mentioned that you had a nice lunch. Would you mind sharing where you ate, what you ate and the approximate cost? It could be of help to others who want to visit.

Other than finding Guanajuato very busy, how was your visit?

Happy travels!

Cindi

BC
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

We ate lunch at the Restaurant Bar Plaza which is on the main square. I did a little review of it, and it is up now. Lovely place with nice decor, nice view and very attentive service.

I can't remember what we ate! But we always eat traditional Mexican so it was probably enchiladas. The comida corrida was 72 pesos (under 6 dollars) and included a lovely looking dessert, but we didn't order it because of food intolerances. Daughter and I both had a delicious cold Naranjada to drink, my hubby had a margarita. All food and drink was well priced and I am sure that we spent under 20 dollars for the three of us, including tip.

We've been to 5 places in 18 days, so I remember every place where we loved the food, but not exactly what we ate, where. I haven't kept notes this trip.

In Dolores we were the recipients of a couple of random acts of kindness/caring and it really felt like a special place. Plus I really loved the ceramics shop a couple of blocks walk away, what an amazing place!

Guanajuato is extremely beautiful. We walked around everywhere, including up to the mummy museum, I let my hubby figure out all the routes. In truth, I would have preferred a less busy time, but others would like it that way. We are so sensitive to cigarette smoke and it seemed everyone was smoking, which is so surprising as very few young people smoke in Canada.

I especially liked walking east of the centre one day, to a little square with many locals around. Had a cup of fantastic mango from a seller, who said they all came from the trees in his yard (at least I think he said something like that!) after I told him they were the best mangoes we had ever tasted in our life.

I bet is has been busy in Guanajuato these past two days with the Pope's visit!

Hurricane, West...
Level Contributor
44 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

Nice exchange between you 2. We just got back to GTO after a day in HD. We loved it's flat, quiet, traditional scene. Ate at a place to left of the church doors as you come out. "Epochas Crepes Cafe Y Mas" or something. It was fine, small, run by the com/waiter/owner apparently. Mexican specialties. Went to the new museum of Mexican wines. Didn't learn a lot that you couldn't get off the web, but beautifully done,housed in the former hospital on Hidalgo St, and it is going to become a boutique hotel.

BC
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

Almost 5 years since my post. Since that time I have been to many, many places in many parts of Mexico and even back to Guanajuato a few months ago. But we didn't have time for a return to Dolores Hidalgo. It remains one of my favourite small towns that I have been to in Mexico.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

If you went back to Dolores, would you stay over?

I'm into hanging out in small Mexican towns that could be "done" as day trips; that's why I'm wondering...

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

Didn't realize that Dolores Hidalgo had an airport with the designation HD? I thought all airports had a three letter designation?

Hurricane, West...
Level Contributor
44 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!

I doubt it does. Maybe a landing strip.

Reply to: I loved Dolores Hidalgo!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dolores Hidalgo
More Dolores Hidalgo Topics