We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolores Hidalgo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Glendale, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Dolores Hidalgo

Will be in Guantajuato for five days and was thinking of spending one day nearby. SMA seems too ambitious. Dolores Hidalgo just about right. Recommendations? Best way to and from? Would it be best just to hire a driver for the day?

Andy

5 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolores Hidalgo

Take the bus; they run every few minutes and the bus station in Dolores is just a couple of blocks from the main square. It's a pretty ride through the mountains and takes about an hour.

There are a couple of decent places for lunch and I would assume the Hidalgo house/museum has been renovated since the bicentenary two years ago (His house in San Felipe certainly has, and I visited it a couple of days ago).

Dolores is still quite a sleepy Mexican town and that's it charm. San Miguel is bigger and livelier and that's its.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolores Hidalgo

HI JACoombs,

I agree with Londinense...take the bus to Dolores Hidalgo from Guanajuato. All the main places to visit in Dolores are within walking distance of the bus station with the exception of the tomb of Jose Alfredo Jimenez, which is outside of town...you will pass the cemetery on your way into town from Guanajuato.

When you exit the bus station, walk out to the street and turn left. The main plaza is 2 1/2 blocks away. On the street in front of the bus station, you will be greeted by several taxi drivers who will want to take you around town or to San Miguel de Allende. You really don´t need a taxi in town unless you want to visit Jimenez´s tomb.

In my experience, there are few, if any, people in Dolores Hidalgo that speak more than a couple of words of English other than tourists, so be aware of that.

As Londinense said, Dolores is a sleepy town...great for relaxing. My husband and I go there every few months for a day or so just to get away from Guanajuato.

Have a great time!

Cindi

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolores Hidalgo

Thanks. This is helpful. The Moon Guide says the are a couple of ceramics workshops/outlets in or near. Are these also accessible on foot? Do you have a specific recommendation for lunch? Again, thanks,

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolores Hidalgo

There are several ceramic shops scattered around the downtown area. If you wander the streets two or three blocks from the main plaza, you will find several.

If you walk along the street on the left-hand side of the main plaza (facing the parish church), cross the street that passes in front of the church, and keep going straight about half a block, you will find a building on your left that has several ceramic shops/booths inside.

If you are up to a bit of a walk, take the street that passes in front of the parish church and walk away from the main plaza. You will pass the Independence Museum (an interesting place to visit) on your right. Continue on five blocks to the highway (110). There are many ceramic shops along this street (I know there are several if you turn left, but I can´t remember if there are any if you turn right).

Or, if you don´t want to walk, you can ask a taxi driver to take you to some shops (you may want to hire one person to drive you around and wait for you at each shop so you don´t have to worry about finding a new taxi every time you want to go on).

For a restaurant, if you like carnitas, you may want to take a taxi to the main Carnita Vicente restaurant (I think it is near the Soriana).

There are some restaurants on the main plaza...Taco Pizza if you want pizza, hamburgers or tortas: Restaurante Plaza if you want basic Mexican food; El Carruaje if you want something a little more upscale. If you want seafood, El Delfin is just one block from the main plaza (take the street, Guerrero, on the far side of the plaza facing the church, go one block away from the plaza and turn left on Veracruz).

I have eaten at all the restaurants with the exception of El Delfin and thought the food and service were great.

If you have room for dessert, try one of the many flavors of ice cream (several exotic flavors in addition to the more normal chocolate, vanilla and strawberry) from the vendors in the main plaza.

Hope that helps.

Have a great time!

Cindi

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolores Hidalgo

Great. Thanks.

Reply to: Dolores Hidalgo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted