We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajijic

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ajijic

Traveling to Ajijic in two weeks. Is it safe for a female to be alone and where shoud I stay and how do i get from guadalajara to Ajijic. What is the population of Ajijic?

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ajijic

I just returned from Ajijic and was there for 2mths! Too bad you are going in Aug. as I am returning at the end of Aug. to spend another month there.

I was alone (am female) and had a wonderful time. I was housesitting in between Chapala and Ajijic and then spent the last 2wks in Ajijic. You will love it, it is quaint, cobblestone streets (bring proper footwear) and the restaurants are amazing!! Very reasonable prices too. You can go on a website that people will help you also;

www.chapala.com ask away.

From Guad. you can get a cab for around $35/usd right to Ajijic. There are so many wonderful places to stay there, what is your criteria?

Sry, don't know the pop. but you can google it. It is nice and quiet this time of year as most of the snowbirds don't come until Dec. I found that speaking a bit of Spanish helped and the people there love it when you try.

Getting around from Ajijic to other small towns, you use the main highway called the Caraterra. I took the bus lots and it cost like 60cents one way!

I think you will love it there, I have never been to the interior of Mexico as I love the beach, but the people are what make this place so special!

Have a blast.

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ajijic

another thought, just to make you aware and not be too dire, the 2nd last day I was there I was walking down a little street in broad daylight when all of a sudden I felt both my butt cheeks being squeezed 3 times!! I gasped and turned around immediately just to see the guy had run back down the street and rounding the corner!! amazingly fast runner! I was wearing jean capris and a mid thigh dress over them, so was not dressed inappropriately either! I had a small black back purse crosswise over my shoulder/chest and in hindsight, the senario could have been much worse.

So I would suggest a waistbelt that you can put your top over and don't carry a purse, I know I won't be. Also, do not wear jewellry or bling at all, there are poor people everywhere and they may just need to eat. Other than that 1 incident, I felt perfectly safe to walk around. My friends laughed and said "hey, you still got junk in your trunk" lol That may be all it was, but better to be safe than sorry. There are ample ATM's around so no need to carry much cash anyway. Hope this helps.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ajijic

Thanks for the information. I will be leaving around the 21st of the month and staying until September (beginning). After your email I would imagine that I would need to bring very casual clothing. Where did you stay when you were there? I do have a few friends there and they are male, which one has lived there for about 14 years. I think it is just getting there is my concern. Thanks again and I will be booking my flight.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
67 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ajijic

Ajijic is very safe. I have a home there and one in Guadalajara. There's not much to do in Ajijic but walk around and enjoy the many fine restaurants. Buses run the length of the highway (which is also Ajijic's main drag) from Chapala to Jocotepec. Most anything you'd want to do is within easy walking distance from the bus route.

In Ajijic, I have two favorite restaurants: La Bodega and Tony's. La Bodega is on 16th of September. The owners are Marta and Javier. I'd recommend the Shrimp ala Diaba Felix. Tony's has great beef tacos. It's located a block or so east of Walmart (yep, Walmart). Owing to the presences of so many foreigners, Ajijic offers dining options far beyond what you'd expect in a Mexican village. German: Johanna's; Tex-Mex: El Serape (yep, Tex-Mex); Argentine: several. Fruit is available everywhere.

Hotel options are limited. Casa Mis Amores, Nuevo Posada or Real de Chapala are hotels that come to mind. There are two good publications with ads once you get there. Lake Chapala Review and El Ojo del Lago. Both are free and widely distributed. I noticed several ads for B&Bs in the current issues.

One side trip that I think you might enjoy is a trip to Tlaquepaque. The main street Avenida Indepencia and the two parallel streets define one of the best shopping areas in all of Mexico if you're interested in handicrafts. Good restaurants there on the main drag are Casa Fuerte and Real de San Pedro. I see buses on the highway connecting Chapala/Ajijic and Guadalajara. If you take the local Ajijic/Chapala bus, I'm sure you can connect to Tlaquepaque.

Another interesting side trip would be to the mountain top town of Tapalpa. You'd probably want a car to get there, but your local friends can advise.

5. Re: Ajijic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 07, 2011